Author Topic: revisiting a topic about renaming source files  (Read 16701 times)

miltk

• View Profile
revisiting a topic about renaming source files
« on: 2019-03-21 14:36:22 »
this is something a wanted to add about renaming my files, and update everything.

i tried renaming the source files through tp5 and i couldn't. i got a 5110 error message on ALL my windows7 machines. i got as far as the pop up window and when i hit "enter" i got the error message.

when i renamed the source files through windows explorer, the tags disappeared from the files' properties in their source folder(i have tp5 set to open the source folder at startup). not really a big deal. the only important thing is those source folder files are in "numeric name/descending" order, and that is intact.

the galleries tags are intact for the files as they reside in the three dozen categories i have set up in my galleries, and i guess that's all that counts. am i worrying over nothing? nothing has functionally changed. the two most important things remain intact - 1) that the source folder files view is still "numeric name/descending" and 2) all the categorized files have retained their galleries tags
« Last Edit: 2019-03-21 14:42:33 by miltk »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: revisiting a topic about renaming source files
« Reply #1 on: 2019-03-21 16:37:35 »
You are using a very old version of ThumbsPlus, which makes it hard to offer suggestions.

When you look under Options | Preferences | General, is there an option "Allow Folder Operations"? If so, and it is off, then that explains why you could not rename files (turn it on and see if renaming files works).

Other possible reasons why files cannot be renamed include:

• The file is read-only, or it is on a read-only disk (CD-ROM) or write-protected disk.
• A file already exists in the same folder with the same name.
• The file is on a network drive and you do not have sufficient permission to rename it.
• The file is open by another application on your system, or on another system on the network.
• The file doesn't exist (the thumbnail is an orphan).

Generally speaking, when you change the filenames of your images outside of ThumbsPlus (for instance using Explorer or a file manager), then ThumbsPlus can no longer match those files to their thumbnail records in its database. The existing thumbnails for these files, including any keywords and annotations, will become orphaned and you would have to thumbnail the renamed files again (and enter new keywords and annotations).

When you look up one of those renamed files in a gallery, can you still open it in the viewer from there? If so, it would seem that the thumbnail record, and its position in that gallery, are still intact.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2019-03-21 17:22:46 »
You are using a very old version of ThumbsPlus, which makes it hard to offer suggestions.

When you look under Options | Preferences | General, is there an option "Allow Folder Operations"? If so, and it is off, then that explains why you could not rename files (turn it on and see if renaming files works).

Other possible reasons why files cannot be renamed include:

• The file is read-only, or it is on a read-only disk (CD-ROM) or write-protected disk.
• A file already exists in the same folder with the same name.
• The file is on a network drive and you do not have sufficient permission to rename it.
• The file is open by another application on your system, or on another system on the network.
• The file doesn't exist (the thumbnail is an orphan).

Generally speaking, when you change the filenames of your images outside of ThumbsPlus (for instance using Explorer or a file manager), then ThumbsPlus can no longer match those files to their thumbnail records in its database. The existing thumbnails for these files, including any keywords and annotations, will become orphaned and you would have to thumbnail the renamed files again (and enter new keywords and annotations).

When you look up one of those renamed files in a gallery, can you still open it in the viewer from there? If so, it would seem that the thumbnail record, and its position in that gallery, are still intact.

yes, they are still intact. functionally, all is fine. the only thing that has changed in the rename is that all the images, as they reside in the source folder have lost their galleries tag, but that's unimportant since the tags are retained in my categorized galleries. in other words, i can see all the galleries tags in BOTH the galleries and the source folder. in the rename, only the source folder tags are lost. the images are fine in their proper galleries

AND NO, i just looked and the "allow folder operations" is not checked!!!!. i'll try on my laptop tonight....thx
« Last Edit: 2019-03-21 17:25:17 by miltk »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2019-03-21 20:25:54 »
the only thing that has changed in the rename is that all the images, as they reside in the source folder have lost their galleries tag, but that's unimportant since the tags are retained in my categorized galleries.

What do you mean by 'galleries tags' and where exactly do you look to see those?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.