Author Topic: How to make thumbnails larger....  (Read 5752 times)

benherrmann

• View Profile
How to make thumbnails larger....
« on: 2018-06-03 10:08:02 »
OK gang - please don't chastise me on this as I tried the search function first, but didn't find anything (or I may have overlooked something).

I just downloaded the latest version released on 31 May (build 4014).

After thumbnails plus removed the previous version (which I intentionally kept on my drive D), it then installed the new build 4014 version on my small SSD C drive (which I didn't want).  Anyway, no big deal on that.

The issue I have is that I cannot find in the options (or anywhere else) where I can make the thumbnails larger.  Right now with the new version my thumbnails are very small (whereas on the previous version they were a comfortable size to view).

Can anyone refresh my memory on how to make the thumbnails larger (I'm older and my vision is failing me a bit).

Thanks,

Ben Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, NC

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2018-06-03 11:33:52 »
Welcome, Ben!

Laura Shook of Cerious software recently posted a FAQ entry about changing the thumbnail size: http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=5834

Let me know if that should still leave you with any questions!
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

benherrmann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-06-03 16:07:10 »
OK - that entire page has many articles, but I don't see one specifically relating to adjustment of thumbnail size.  I know I'm dense at times, but can you cite the specific response that Laura provided?  Thanks...

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-06-03 16:58:01 »
You can just click on the link in my message.

mel314

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-06-03 18:15:10 »
Daan - Your link goes to the main index page, not the article, maybe a bad id#?

Ben - Click on "Options", "Preferences", then the "Thumbnails" tab.  The thumbnail size stuff is there, mainly the lower left corner.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-06-03 19:36:36 »
> Daan - Your link goes to the main index page, not the article, maybe a bad id#?

Thanks! It looks like the "ThumbsPlus 10 FAQ" forum section isn't available to the public yet. Here's what Laura wrote in that message:

> The default size of the thumbnails in ThumbsPlus v10 SP1 is 160 x 160.

> You have control of how large to create your thumbnails. There are 2 different options to increase the thumbnail size.

> 1. There is a % option at the top of the menu that will increase the thumbnail size. (NOTE that this only stretches the thumbnails, which doesn't give you as nice of a view than actually increasing the thumbnails size in OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>THUMBNAILS.)

> If you wish to stretch the thumbnails and not regenerate them at a larger size, change the % size at the top of the ThumbsPlus interface then go to OPTIONS>PREFERENCES THUMBNAIL VIEW> and turn on the "stretched" option in order for the thumbnails to stretch to fit the thumbnail box.

> 2. To create larger, prettier thumbnails go to OPTIONS>PREFERENCES>THUMBNAILS to change the thumbnail size.

> After changing the actual thumbnail size in an established database, you will have to rescan for the thumbnails to increase in size.

> Note that the larger the thumbnails are in the database, the more space they occupy.

So, for clarity: her Option 1 will only display your current thumbnails at a larger size (scale) but the actual thumbnail images in the database are still small. Option 2 is what you want if you want to have larger, more detailed thumbnails. When you set the new size, I'd recommend using multiples of 8 for the height and width, so you get the best jpeg compression efficiency.