Author Topic: Is TP still an actively developed application?  (Read 3332 times)

MattM1121

• View Profile
Is TP still an actively developed application?
« on: 2017-09-04 16:37:49 »
Greetings,

I've been a long time user of TP since v5. I've used it mainly to manage scans and photos from phones and other lower end devices.

I purchased a Nikon DSLR camera recently and I'm going to start a new photography hobby. Which means that I'll be really dependant on a quality DAM application.

TP is great and it worked for me for years and years. It fits the bill quite nicely. My concern is support and application development moving forward. TP went through some rough times, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did.

Does anyone know if TP is still an actively developed application? I don't mean to sound crass, but if TP is waning then I should move on. I certainly hope my fears aren't justified.

Thanks,

-Matt

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-04 17:13:37 »
> Does anyone know if TP is still an actively developed application?

Cerious' August 28 newsletter mentioned ThumbsPlus v11 being worked on, so I assume that it is (but I doubt that it matters, because as many would-be ex-users have experienced before you, there's still really nothing like ThumbsPlus).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

MattM1121

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-09-05 07:45:21 »
I agree there doesn't seem to be anything else like TP. I'm currently looking at ADCSee. It's nice but seems typical of DAM software as far as cataloging. A review that I read comparing DAM stated that a big drawback to TP was the inability to post to social media. I hope TP get's that feature in place.

I appreciate the information.

Thanks,

-Matt

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-09-05 08:33:46 »
> A review that I read comparing DAM stated that a big drawback to TP was the inability to post to social media. I hope TP get's that feature in place.

I'm not sure if that criticism makes much sense. TP is a desktop application and on a desktop computer, you use a browser to work with your social media. I agree that it would be nice if TP could upload albums directly to Facebook, but using drag-and-drop or the 'copy filename to clipboard' function I think it's easy enough to post images to FB and elsewhere.

I use 'copy filename to clipboard' (Alt-Shift-C) very often. Next, you simply press the Upload button on your favorite website and press Ctrl-V to paste the copied filename into the file selection dialog, and press OK to start the upload. It's fast and simple enough to me and it doesn't require that you install a plug-in or trust your password to a 3d party.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.