Author Topic: Database error <5015.8036>- Cannot open thumbs plus  (Read 3779 times)

webcandesign

• View Profile
Right after installation I click close and thumbsplus tries to open up but displays an error message dialog screen.

Database error:
[Microsoft] [ODBC driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified.

ThumbsPlus Message <5015.8036>

No matter what I do I cannot seem to create a Database file for TP to use. I have Windows 8.1 64 bit.( I originally installed it on 8.0 )

ThumbsPlus 9 Sp1 Build 3938

I disabled Firewall and antivirus, rebooted and still the Same error.
I have MS- Access installed and I have no issues with Ms-access 2007.

Can someone plz shed some light as TP Support has not responded yet to any of my emails.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Database error <5015.8036>- Cannot open thumbs plus
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-25 01:27:51 »
Several more people here have reported problems getting ThumbsPlus to run on Windows 8.1 64b. Apparently that Windows version doesn't support 32-bit ODBC connections to Access-type databases like ThumbsPlus requires. Other programs are having the same problem with Win 8.1. Unfortunately I haven't heard of any working solutions yet.

When you write to Cerious for technical support, be sure to mention ThumbsPlus in the subject line and white-list cerious.com in any spam filters that you (or your webmail provider) may be using. If you have another e-mail address available to you, ask them to cc: their reply to that address.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

webcandesign

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-25 01:38:36 »
I have any issues with the spam filters as I use local ones so I see the spam that comes in.

Its unfortunate though about 32bit odbc connections, I hope TP fixes this as win 8 is being forced down peoples throats by the driver manufacturers only making drivers for win 8 plateform which was the case with my HP i7 laptop.

Pete Wieland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-25 05:34:35 »
Have you tried to use SQLite instead of Access?

Database/New and in the file dialogue box change 'Save as type:' to  ThumbsPlus Database (Sqlite3 format tpdb8s).

I am still on Win 7 so can't test it, but it might solve your problem.

webcandesign

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-06-27 15:29:54 »
Yes I have and same results. no matter what I choose in the window I can an error like you see in the video.

I have sent 3-4 emails to support and not a word from them, not even a reply email.

Very disappointing, I feel like this program might be going the ways of vapor ware.

webcandesign

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-27 17:21:19 »
It works now!. I tried reopening it and clicked NEW to create a new database and chose
Sqlite3 format tpdb8s and save it and its accepted it.

all seems to work now. :)

Although I am happy that it works now, I am still concerned about the last of acknowledgment from support.

In my frustration before I had started looking for replacements to Thumbsplus and found ACDSee Pro or AcdSee I7 and installed on my Win 8 64 bit without a hitch. and there support seems active and there forum seems to be more active than this one with many replies to common questions like ( How do you do this or that type questions)

For now I going to keep my TP because simply its what I am used too and I have paid for it but if things do not improve as far support and fixes to known issues I will not be upgrading anymore and consider moving on to ACdSee

rsjsteve

« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-15 23:55:10 »
Hooray!!

From PeteW1959:  

"Have you tried to use SQLite instead of Access?

Database/New and in the file dialogue box change 'Save as type:' to ThumbsPlus Database (Sqlite3 format tpdb8s).
"

Worked for me, too!  

Thanks, Pete!  You saved a Yank.  Must be why we won the war.

Thank you too, webcandesign

rsjsteve