Author Topic: finding and deleting duplicates  (Read 3988 times)

jaybird23238

• View Profile
finding and deleting duplicates
« on: 2016-12-16 12:41:05 »
Is there some process within TP that will allow me to identify and then automatically delete duplicate photos.

I tried to copy all of them into a new folder hoping that I would receive an option to replace/rename/delete but that didn't happen, they just all got copied.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-16 15:20:42 »
> Is there some process within TP that will allow me to identify and then automatically delete duplicate photos.

No, not to automatically delete them. Basically, ThumbsPlus doesn't know which copy you'd consider to be the 'original' that you'd like to keep. So, you have to manually select (or tag, or add-to-gallery) them before you can delete them.

There are freeware tools that do this though, and they can delete dupes based on which copy is the newest or which copy has the longest filename. One example is [link=http://www.clonespy.com/]CloneSpy[/link].
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-16 15:29:45 »
p.s. Note that CloneSpy and other duplicate file finders only look at the files, not their image contents like ThumbsPlus can do. For instance, when you've stored an image both as a TIF and as a PNG, ThumbsPlus will still identify them as similar even though on a bits-and-bytes level, they are completely different.

jaybird23238

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-16 18:19:52 »
Good point.  I guess I'll have to go through and use the tagging process.

When viewing tagged files, they show as if they are a gallery.  Is there a way to actually delete the file from there or do I have to copy to a folder and kill them at that point?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-16 20:25:18 »
> When viewing tagged files, they show as if they are a gallery.  Is there a way to actually delete the file from there [..]

No, in a gallery, the delete functions only remove the thumbnail from that gallery.

> [..] or do I have to copy to a folder and kill them at that point?

Well, you could move them to a folder and delete them there. But what I usually do is when I'm done tagging, I use Edit | Select by | Tagged to select all the tagged files and then I press Del to delete them.

(or if I have tagged files from multiple folders, I first go to their common parent folder and turn on 'Include Child Folders', so that all tagged files will be in the thumbnail listing. Then I can select and delete them in one go.)