Author Topic: Database Error /w Keywords  (Read 3419 times)

rumboogy

• View Profile
Database Error /w Keywords
« on: 2016-01-05 21:17:53 »
(NOTE: Moderator, please delete the other post in announcements. Thank you).

OK...finally got all my images cataloged and thumbnailed. So I used the folder names and image names to get most of my INITIAL keywords.

I began to weed out and delete the keywords I didn't want to use and all went well UNTIL I came to two different KEYWORDS. One is called "images" and the other is "photography"...evidently somehow, someway all the images in the database are tagged with these two keywords.

Anyway, when I try to delete...I get the following error message. Obviously I won't ever use either of those two words for searching...so if I can't delete them...no big deal, BUT if I can delete them I will. Below is a screenshot of the error.

Is there a way to actually delete both of these keywords. Thanks.

Wally

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Database Error /w Keywords
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-05 22:42:55 »
> (NOTE: Moderator, please delete the other post in announcements. Thank you).

(done)

> Is there a way to actually delete both of these keywords. Thanks.

Not from within TP, I'm afraid. And from Googling around it looks like you can avoid the error by (temporarily) changing the registry value mentioned in the error message, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. If you happen to have a copy of ThumbsPlus 9 installed, you could try with that (the error hadn't been reported here before so maybe it worked better in TP9).

Here's what I would do:

[*]Make a backup copy of your database file.
    [*]Download MDB Viewer Plus (free) from http://www.alexnolan.net/software/mdb_viewer_plus.htm
    [*]Install and launch MDB Viewer Plus
    [*]Click the Open button and in the filename field, enter *.tpdb8 so this File|Open dialog will display files of that type when you browse to your database folder.
    [*]When you've opened the database file, go to the tab named 'Keyword'. This table holds your keywords.
    [*]Sort it by clicking on the 'Keyword' header above the last column.
    [*]Find the first keyword and click in the margin to its left to select the record.
    [*]Go to Record | Delete to delete it.
    [*]Repeat last 2 steps for the other keyword and close the database.
    [*]Go to Tools | Repair and Compact, select the database and execute. This should cleanup all pointers to the now deleted keywords.
    [*]Open the database in ThumbsPlus and check the keywords to verify that it worked as expected.
    [/list]
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.