Author Topic: ThumbsPlus v10 database size information  (Read 3679 times)

Laura Shook

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ThumbsPlus v10 database size information
« on: 2015-10-14 16:29:11 »
The default ThumbsPlus database is an MS Access database with a .tpdb8 extension.

Out of the box the ThumbsPlus v10 database has a 2Gb size limit. For quite some time there have been many ways to configure and/or use other database options that will allow for a larger size capacity even when using this default MS Access database.

Configuring a new database using the option to "store thumbnails in files" increases the size capacity giving you the room to thumbnail millions of image files!

This option, instead of storing the thumbnails in the database itself, stores the thumbnails in a file that resides in the same folder that houses the database. This does increase the amount of space needed for the thumbnail/data storage, but gives the ability to manage much larger quantities of thumbnails in a single database.

In the first releases of ThumbsPlus v10 the default database settings (WITHOUT the option on to "store thumbnails in files"), allowed for approximately 200,000 thumbnails.

In ThumbsPlus v10 build 4004, the following database settings will allow for approximately 400,000 thumbnails if you do NOT use the database option to "store thumbnails in files".

160 x 160 sized thumbnails
True color (24-bit)
JPEG quality 80%

Note that making smaller thumbnails will increase the amount that a single database can store. Using the option to "store thumbnails in files" increases the capacity to store millions of thumbnails.

In ThumbsPlus v10 there is also the available option to increase your current database size by running a Python script that Cerious Software will provide upon request. This means that if you have a default database that is nearing the size limit of 2 Gb's, running this script will increase the available space to allow for storage of millions of thumbnails and their associated data! I will be glad to post the script and instructions here if that is requested.

You can also use other databases with ThumbsPlus that are virtually limitless in size. You can read more about these client/server databases here:
http://www.cerious.com/databases.shtml

I hope that this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Laura Shook
Cerious Software, Inc.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
ThumbsPlus v10 database size information
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-03 18:39:43 »
I'd be interested in seeing the script, and in knowing how to run it from within ThumbsPlus.

p.s. Happy New Year Laura! :-)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.