Author Topic: Create PDF Thumbnails in TP8 Windows 7 64bit  (Read 4747 times)

Ron

• View Profile
Create PDF Thumbnails in TP8 Windows 7 64bit
« on: 2011-06-28 15:40:50 »
I am a new user and bought Version 8 and am trying to get thumbnails for my PDF files. I read the post "Create PDF Thumbnails in TP8" and even loaded Version 7 and followed the directions to no avail.  The plug-in is looking for the 32bit Ghostscript.  Any workarounds for this?
Thanks

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2011-06-28 17:36:05 »
Assuming that you have installed Ghostscript as required, you may still have to enter its location under Options | Ghostscript PS/EPS/PDF.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-06-28 22:09:43 »
I did do that as well as set the Thumbnail size and color depth.  The problem is that it is looking for the 32bit file name and what Ghotscipt loaded was the 64bit one: C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.02\bin\gsdll64.dll

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-06-28 22:23:12 »
You can download the 32-bit version of GhostScript from http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/doc/GPL/gpl902.htm

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-28 22:41:25 »
I downloaded the 32bit version and installed it and repointed the Plugin to it and got this in place of a Thumbnail image "This Format Requires ThumbsPlus Professional Edition"

[img=thumbnail]images/uploaded/201106290238084e0a901041d00.jpg[/img]

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-06-28 23:10:25 »
Well, the use of plug-ins requires a licensed copy of the Professional edition. If you have the standard edition, it will show that message instead of a proper thumbnail.

Some (not many) PDF files have a built-in preview image, and if I recall correctly ThumbsPlus can create a thumbnail from those without requiring the Ghostscript plug-in.  To give that a try you can right-click on a PDF file, choose 'Configure Type' and set the 'Load Using' value to 'Poly Image' (or if that doesn't work, to 'Internal'). Still, the odds that your particular PDFs can be thumbnailed that way are rather small and if you also want to really open or convert PDF's, you'll still need the plug-in (it's great to have though - I often use it to open PDF's and save them as high-resolution TIF files which I can then edit with very little loss of quality).

Ron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-28 23:34:43 »
Thanks for tip, I will give it a try.  I just got ThumbsPlus 2 days ago, so I have a long way to go, but so far I love it. I use Acrobat9 to convert TIFF maps and newspapers into PDF where they are more accessible for downloading from the web and can be converted back to TIFF or JPG.  Thanks once again for all the time you spent helping.