Author Topic: is there a way to place multiple images on a page  (Read 6461 times)

miltk

• View Profile
is there a way to  layout multiple images on a page, so that i can print them all at once?

currently, i have shift additional images using the top/bottom/left/right margins and run the print page through the printer over and again. problem with that, aside from being cumbersome, is that the printed paper has caught on occasion and i've had to extract the mess manually.

if there was a way to layout all the images on a page format and then print it, it would be GREAT.

thumbs plus 5

thanks all

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
is there a way to place multiple images on a page
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-25 08:35:35 »
Both the regular Print and the Print Catalog commands can put multiple images on a sheet.

For the regular Print command: Select the images (e.g. 4 thumbnails) and go to File | Print. In the Print Size section of the dialog, mark 'Auto Rotate' and 'Auto Crop' and choose a sufficiently small size (e.g. 3.5x5") to fit multiple images of that size on a single sheet. Now, the 'Images per Page' setting will allow you to pick a larger number such as 4, so that all four of your selected images are put on the sheet. Finally, set the 'Fit' value to your preference.

If you decide to use Print Catalog instead, be sure to mark 'rebuild thumbs at printer resolution' on the last ('Options') page of its dialog. It may also be helpful to turn wizard dialogs off beforehand in Options | Preferences, so you can more easily navigate through the various pages of dialogs like these.

I don't recall if this functionality was already part of version 5 (which is quite old!) but I think it was.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-25 16:24:19 »
it didn't work. tp5 has all the setting you mentioned. here's what is set....
i pulled up 4 images - on one image i,,,,,

1...all the margins are set to "0.00"
2...size = 3"
3...images per page = 4
4...fit = stretch
5...auto rotate 90* to layout is checked

it only printed that one image, so i pulled up a second image, intending to set all 4 individually,  but i noticed everything i set in the first image was set in the other. i tried both checking and unchecking auto rotate and all it did was rotate the image 90*, and neither worked.

there must be something i'm missing since "images per page" is an available option.
two questions,,,do i actually open all four image and can i crop all four,,,,,or,,,,can i only hilite four images and therefore not crop anything?

thx

ps,,,well i can't just hilite because i'm still only printing one image

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-10-25 16:46:43 »
The preview should show you what the print will look like, so if it doesn't look somewhat like this (with four images on the sheet), something is still wrong:

When you click on Printer in this dialog, is the page size large enough?
Did you use 'show all sizes' so you can pick an image size small enough to fit 1/4 of your sheet?

> two questions,,,do i actually open all four image and can i crop all four,,,,,or,,,,can i only hilite four images and therefore not crop anything?

You select four images (thumbnails) in the thumbnail listing (keep Ctrl pressed down as you click on them one by one) and then use File | Print from the menu to bring up the above dialog. The settings in the 'print size' section of the dialog apply to all four images on the sheet.

miltk

• View Profile
i also tried
« Reply #4 on: 2015-10-25 16:49:40 »
i opened four images
opened four print screens
set each exactly the same except i positioned each accordingly so as not to print over each other

still only printed one image

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
i also tried
« Reply #5 on: 2015-10-25 16:54:08 »
No, don't open the images. Just select their thumbnails in the main screen and use File | Print.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-10-25 17:03:46 »
no. i do not see a layout of all four images

my print screen does not have "auto crop images". everything else is the same as your print screen. btw, something changed. where i used to have an option for multiple images, now there's only an option for 2 ??? i just printed two images on a page but they were in hilited thumbnails...i did not open both

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-10-25 17:17:38 »
> where i used to have an option for multiple images, now there's only an option for 2 ???

The 'images per page' value changes when you change the size of the images. If they're too big to fit 4 of them on a page, it will show 2 (or even just 1) as the largest possible number of images per page. Could that explain it?

The autocrop option isn't very important, it just removes any white borders that your images may have before putting them on the page.

Maybe you can make a screenshot of your Print dialog and post it. In TP, press Alt-Printscreen when the dialog is active. Then click cancel to go back to TP's main screen and press Ctrl-V to paste the screenshot into a new viewer window. Then use File | Save to save it as a JPG. To post it here, use the Upload button to the right side of the message editor.

miltk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-10-25 18:28:25 »
can i take a screen shot in a windows xp function? i actually tried taking a screenshot of all 4 print screens together using my image editor, but as soon as i created a window for all 4 print screens, 3 of them defaulted back to only one image - weird

it's simple enough to explain though. 4print screens, each with ONE image, each with the same settings except that i have to use the margin control on each image. so when i choose "print", only the one screen will print. there is no layout for all four.

i was able to do two thumbnails but was not given a choice of 4

miltk

• View Profile
OK I PRINTED ALL 4
« Reply #9 on: 2015-10-25 18:47:42 »
i had to do it as you say, from thumbnails. whatever happened before when i was only given an option of 2 images is now back to multiple images - i do not know what happened before.

i guess now my question is, is there a away to crop and save IN A GALLERY on the fly. i think this is the only way to circumvent the crop issue. but the thing is, when i tried cropping and saving( i tried several options in the file tab) it only allowed me to save to my desktop....if possible i would like to save to the tp gallery

or is there another way

miltk

• View Profile
another question
« Reply #10 on: 2015-10-25 19:02:06 »
ok. i can crop and "add to gallery", but i cannot add to the SAME gallery.

so now my question is, can i print multiple images FROM DIFFERENT GALLERIES to one page.

i tried cropping and saving to another gallery,  but it won't let me

thx again

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK I PRINTED ALL 4
« Reply #11 on: 2015-10-25 19:38:47 »
> i guess now my question is, is there a away to crop and save IN A GALLERY on the fly. i think this is the only way to circumvent the crop issue. but the thing is, when i tried cropping and saving( i tried several options in the file tab) it only allowed me to save to my desktop....if possible i would like to save to the tp gallery

Lets start with the cropping. I assume you want to cut out part of an image in a way that best fits 1/4 of your printing paper. I'm not sure if TP5 already had this, but there's an especially suitable command for this, called Trim to Paper Proportion. When you open an image in the Viewer/Editor, it should be in the menu under Transform. You pick the paper size that you use to print on and then the selection box will stay in the right proportion when you drag or resize it. You can also right-click within the selection box to switch between landscape and portrait orientation.

Press Enter when you've made the perfect crop, then use File | Save As to save it. You should be able to save the cropped image to any folder on any drive on your system. The Save As dialog defaults to whatever folder the currently edited image is in, but you can also doubleclick on the Desktop entry, then on My Computer (or something like it), and then pick any drive and any folder.

You cannot directly save an edited image from the viewer/editor to a gallery. First you have to save the edited image to a file. Once it is stored in a file, you can add that file to a gallery.

If you're only making these crops for this specific purpose (of printing them once), then it might be better to just create an easy temporary folder like "D:\blah" and then save all your crops there. When done, navigate to that folder to select images and print them. Afterwards, delete the whole folder.

If you prefer to work from a gallery, you can add each file (i.e. saved cropped image) to one and the same gallery. Go to the thumbnail listing, right-click on the image and pick Gallery | Add To | . There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to assign multiple files to the same gallery.

miltk

• View Profile
OK I PRINTED ALL 4
« Reply #12 on: 2015-10-25 22:41:21 »
i crop to eliminate the unused part of the image. if there's a full figure,, i might want to crop down to the head or hands.

if i do a crop > save, it alters the original file
if i do a crop > save as, it asks me to save the file somewhere on my computer.

it appears i might have to right click the thumbnail and gallery > add to > xxx,,,then do my cropping of all those files and then continue on

as you said