Author Topic: Slow startup  (Read 3079 times)

bobroosth

• View Profile
Slow startup
« on: 2016-11-22 12:18:29 »
I have the latest build. Win 7, 16 gb RAM, SSD boot drive. Database on SSD, tp8 extension. Startup when the last viewed folder contains 198 images the program hangs with Create the tree pane contents. Sometimes for over a minute!

Any suggestions as to why this is happening? I do not recall it being this slow with previous releases of V10.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Slow startup
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-22 19:13:57 »
> I have the latest build. Win 7, 16 gb RAM, SSD boot drive. Database on SSD, tp8 extension. Startup when the last viewed folder contains 198 images the program hangs with Create the tree pane contents. Sometimes for over a minute!

Hi Bob, just a bunch of quick thoughts:

[*]When you shutdown and re-launch TP, is it any faster? If so, a hybernating (energy saving) drive in the tree may have held things up, or a very large folder that is now cached.
    [*]Does the tree contain any slow drives, network connections, or very large folders (in terms on number of files or subfolders)?
    [*]In Options | Preferences | Disks and Folders, do you have Display ZIP files as Folders on? (turning off may help)
    [*]In Options | Preferences | Filetypes, do you have 'Resolve Windows Shortcuts (.lnk files)' on? (turning off may help)
    [*]In Options | Preferences | Disks and Folders, lower section, do you have any 'special folders' on that may require a lot of reading/processing, for instance a very large Fonts folder, or a shared folder on an old wifi-enabled laptop in 'Public Locations'?
    [*]In the helpfile, section 'Troubleshooting | Command Line Options', you'll find command line options that enable logging or safe mode, which could provide further clues. Also, your Windows start menu should contain several pre-made shortcuts for launching TP with logging or Safe Mode options.
    [*]For more performance hints, see http://www.cerious.com/performance.shtml
    [/list]
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.