All forums > ThumbsPlus v10 Questions

Can't get video to work

(1/3) > >>

Jens Rieger:
I bought a new computer so I had to reinstall Windows 10 and all programs including ThumbsPlus 10 Prof.. I also installed the K-Lite Code Pack as usual. But when I play a video I can only hear the sound. What could be the problem?

Daan van Rooijen:

--- Quote from: Jens Rieger on 2019-02-10 13:25:22 ---I bought a new computer so I had to reinstall Windows 10 and all programs including ThumbsPlus 10 Prof.. I also installed the K-Lite Code Pack as usual. But when I play a video I can only hear the sound. What could be the problem?
--- End quote ---

This type of problem can be quite complicated..  8)

ThumbsPlus uses Windows' 'Directshow' system to play videos. The Directshow system splits a video into a video stream and an audio stream, and it assigns a decoder (also called codec) to each stream. These codecs decode the video and audio streams and send the output to a player (like Mediaplayer or ThumbsPlus' player), which plays them to the screen and to the soundcard.

In this case, it looks like the video stream has been assigned to the wrong codec, or to a non-functional codec, and as a result you don't get proper video.

If you have installed K-Lite, I think your system uses FFDSHOW to configure how codecs are used (a shortcut to FFDSHOW may be in your Windows start menu). If so, you could first use a utility like G-Spot (http://gspot.headbands.com/) to find out how this video had been encoded, and then use the configuration tools from FFDSHOW* to configure which codec will decode that type of video. Encoding methods are identified by a four-character code named FOURCC (for more info see https://www.fourcc.org/identifier/).

(*: I think those tools are named VFW Configuration and Video Decoder configuration, but that information may be outdated.)

Personally, I've stopped messing with codecs and I use the VLC Mediaplayer almost exclusively. It has all the major codecs built-in, so it doesn't depend on Windows and third-party codecs.  In Windows, I have associated most video filetypes (avi, mp4, mpg, etc.) to VLC, and in ThumbsPlus, I simply press Shift-Enter to launch a video in VLC (pressing Enter would open it in TP's own player, but Shift-Enter will open it in the program that is associated to it in Windows). I've also made VLC an external program button in the toolbar, so I can also launch it with a mouse click.

Jens Rieger:
Thanks Daan for your answer. I only use VLC now. I think this is the best way at the moment.

iceman000:
I'm having the same problem. Not great when it can't be fixed. I'm using Lightroom now. Not ideal for video but already now use it for photos. I've been a Thumbs user for a long time and its a shame this can't be fixed.

Daan van Rooijen:

--- Quote from: iceman000 on 2019-08-22 14:33:23 ---I'm having the same problem. Not great when it can't be fixed.
--- End quote ---
Who says that it can't be fixed?  As explained above, you must (get your system to) use the right codec for the encoding formats that your videos use. Finding and setting up the right codecs can be quite a puzzle.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version