Author Topic: Deleting Shortcuts deletes Image-Files  (Read 3150 times)

rolandbenz

Deleting Shortcuts deletes Image-Files
« on: 2015-10-15 17:38:28 »
Hi,

I encountered the following Problem:

Deleting Shortcuts deletes Image-Files stored on a

Synology Disk Station
    DSM 5.2-5592 Update 4

The NTFS filesytem at the Disk Station holding the images is connected to the WIN 7 Worksatation as a Network Drive (German: Netzlaufwerk).

The Thumbs+ database is located on the same drive at the Disk Station as the images.

Workstation:
------------

MS Win 7 64bit
Ver 6.1 SP 1
Build 7601

Thumbs Plus Pro Ver 9 SP 2
Build 3958 - Feb 2015

Description:
------------

Copying images by drag+drop between two Thumbs+ instances (two desktop windows), I did choose "Create shortcut(s)" instead of "Copy". That works ok.
But: Trying to delete the shortcut, I did delete the image file instead. The shortcut did remain, looking orphaned.

I did find no way to delete a shortcut using the Thumbs+ GUI.

On the LINUX command line at the Synology Disk Station, the shortcut has been represented as a normal file, not as a UNIX softlink. I could delete this easily by
    $ rm FILENAME

After that, the shortcut diappeared from the Thumbs+ desktop window.

Unfortunately, I had created a lof of shortcuts for a project.
After finishing the project, I will like to cleanup and delete them.
Also a "sleeping connect" between a sortcut and the image file seems to be dangerous to me.

Questions:
----------

1) How to delete shortcuts by Thumbs+ GUI functions?

2) What remains in the Thumbs+ database when I delete the shortcut-files on filesystem level?

3) Is it necessary to clean the database after deleting shortcut-files on filesystem level?

4) Do I run in danger to loose image files connectd with "dead" database entrys?

THX
Roland Benz
rbenz@rolandbenz.de