Author Topic: User Fields  (Read 4899 times)

rumboogy

• View Profile
User Fields
« on: 2015-12-14 23:07:49 »
What is the purpose of User Fields...does it replace categories?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
User Fields
« Reply #1 on: 2015-12-15 07:24:22 »
Users Fields simply allow you to store additional data in the database - data that isn't generic enough to make it a standard field like Filename, Keywords or Annotation.

If you wish to use it to denote a category for each image, that's possible but it would be just one of many possible uses.

ThumbsPlus can automatically copy IPTC/EXIF/XMP data into user fields when it creates thumbnails. You enable this by creating user fields that have the same name as an official metadata field. For instance, if you want to store geographical data in your database (of the place where each image was shot), you'd create suitable user fields named GPSLatitude, GPSLatitudeRef, GPSLongitude and GPSLongitudeRef, and ThumbsPlus will copy these values (when available) into your database when it thumbnails each image.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

rumboogy

• View Profile
User Fields
« Reply #2 on: 2015-12-15 09:54:05 »
Thank you Daan.

I'm not a power user (although I am cataloging over 700,000 images). So maybe the question is why didn't Cerious have as a default option, categories? I'm not complaining, just curious.

I've been a license holder since version 5, but in all honesty not used TP much until now. I just retired and thought it is time to DO THIS... I do believe that TP is THE BEST at databasing images (yes, I have tried exactly 8 other programs...TP is the best).

As I begin this cataloging process, I know I will have more questions...probably some stupid ones too.

Thanks.

Wally

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
User Fields
« Reply #3 on: 2015-12-15 12:46:06 »
> So maybe the question is why didn't Cerious have as a default option, categories?

That's what Keywords are often used for. For example, you could assign the keyword 'Family' to all your family photographs, and later run a query for the Family keyword to find all those pics. Or (and/or) you could create a gallery (virtual folder) by the same name and assign all family photos to that gallery.

Some people prefer to store their keywords not just in the database, but in the image files themselves as well. ThumbsPlus 7, if you have it, has an IPTC editor that makes that easy, but it can be done with ThumbsPlus 10 too, through its Batch Edit Metadata command in the Thumbnails menu.

rumboogy

• View Profile
User Fields
« Reply #4 on: 2015-12-15 21:31:13 »
Thank you guys for your input. I think after reading your comments, I'll stick just with the keywords. In fact, I have selected the option to include WORDS in FOLDER NAMES for my Keywords and then I can delete those words I don't want to be added by deleting them in the DATABASE then EDIT KEYWORDS.

Thanks.

Wally

dht1@bellatlantic.net

• View Profile
User Fields, & Database
« Reply #5 on: 2015-12-22 11:42:22 »
In addition to Properties tab #6, "User Fields", tab #4, "Database" is very useful as it is in essence a built-in mini word processor. In it you can type all kinds of virtually unlimited information about a photo, not just the date/time/place.  I use it to relate how I happened to be at that place, what I was doing, etc.  It is especially helpful for photos on trips, vacations, or any other topic.

One serious drawback to tab #4 is that migrating the info to a new PC, or to a new Operating System, is very problematic at best.  Cerious staff has worked with me at length on this problem, but without satisfactory results.  I would welcome comments from others with this issue.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
User Fields, & Database
« Reply #6 on: 2015-12-22 13:00:27 »
As said in the [msg=4897]other topic[/msg], Annotations are stored in the database. The main benefit of having this information in the database is that you can search it and that you can display it underneath each thumbnail.

It is also possible to save your narrative as text inside the image files themselves (if they are of the JPG, PNG or TIF variety). You can do so using the Image | Batch Edit Metadata command, which allows you to edit the files' XMP data.

So, you can select one or more files, issue that command, and then in its dialogue window, you choose:
    [*]XMP field to modify: "Comments"
    [*]Operation to perform: "Set" (or append, etc, as you may prefer)
    [*]New Value: .
    [/list]

Then click Add Step. Assuming that you don't want to edit any other XMP fields, you can now press OK and the narrative will be saved into the XMP-header of the selected image file(s).

The benefit of having this data stored inside the image files themselves, is that you can never lose it (well, not unless you lose the image file). A possible drawback is that when you share the image with others, they can also read any information that you've added to it.

Anyway, the best part is yet to come! ThumbsPlus can fully automatically copy your narrative from the image Comments to the Annotation field in the database. That way, you will have the information both in the image, where it can't be lost, and in the database, where it can be searched and displayed. To enable this, go to Options | Preferences | Metadata and in the top two boxes, mark 'XMP comment' and 'Always'. From then on, everytime you add a comment to an image, it should be automatically copied to the Annotation.

jaybird23238

• View Profile
    User Fields, & Database
    « Reply #7 on: 2016-12-10 11:43:16 »
    I am trying, but it appears that this will not work for video files.  

Can you think of any suggestion to save comments in the video and import into the tp data base as the thumbnail is created?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    User Fields, & Database
    « Reply #8 on: 2016-12-10 20:42:36 »
    > I am trying, but it appears that this will not work for video files.  
    >
    > Can you think of any suggestion to save comments in the video and import into the tp data base as the thumbnail is created?

No, sadly I can't. If ThumbsPlus can work with video metadata at all, I don't think it has been documented and I don't recall ever hearing of other users' experiences trying to do this. I have very little experience working with video, myself.

I know that some video filetypes can contain metadata. Phil Harvey's ExifTool shows quite a few in its list of [link=http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/#supported]supported filetypes[/link] and some video editors/players allow you to view and/or edit metadata.

If you have the time and inclination, maybe you can collect or produce a few test videos in several formats, each with metadata in different formats (e.g. embedded riff or ID3 data, external XMP sidecar file) and just see what TP does with it. I'd be very curious to hear your findings but again, I have no idea if it will work at all.