Author Topic: Import from TP7 [OK]  (Read 6511 times)

bobroosth

• View Profile
Import from TP7 [OK]
« on: 2011-05-08 11:51:13 »

I switched to TP8 when I brought up this Win 7 machine. I tried to convert the TP7 data and did not like the results (too long ago to remember what was wrong).

I have one problem that I would have asked about then had the newsgroups been working: the old database contains a large collection of data on offline CDs. I'd really like to have away to move that to TP8 without re-scanning those disks.

Is there a way? I have Access 2007 if that would be helpful.

PPL

• View Profile
Import from TP7
« Reply #1 on: 2011-05-08 15:17:31 »
The conversion now seems to work, although I have no ofline Cd's to garantee your problem will now be solved. Until SP1, there always somethong that would prevent me to convert the database, sometimes the soft wouldn't even install.

bobroosth

• View Profile
Import from TP7
« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-08 16:32:09 »
I have added a lot of images since I was using 7. Were I to convert that data, is there a way to move the offline CD branch to a different database?

hfremuth

• View Profile
Import from TP7
« Reply #3 on: 2011-05-09 09:25:15 »
> I have added a lot of images since I was using 7. Were I to convert that data, is there a way to move the offline CD branch to a different database?

You have two choices:

[*]Create a dedicated ThumbsPlus database for offline discs. I did this years ago for a collection of cliparts and fonts, worked fine for me. Simply take your v7 database and convert it to v8. Then, remove all thumbnails other than the offline volumes and run the command "Database -> Advanced -> Compact and repair..."

[*]Keep everything in a single v8 database but without thumbnail bitmaps. This is a new option in v8, which is great! This way, the database file will no longer hold the actual bitmaps, only a reference to a thumbnail file on your hard disk. The advantage is that you can grow your DB more or less endlessly large. Keep in mind that accessing external thumbnails may slow down ThumbsPlus (depending how fast your hard disk is).
    [/list]

bobroosth

• View Profile
    Import from TP7
    « Reply #4 on: 2011-05-09 11:13:44 »
    "Simply take your v7 database and convert it to v8. Then, remove all thumbnails other than the offline volumes and run the command "Database -> Advanced -> Compact and repair..." "

Understood. Do you then switch between your photo database and the clipart data? Or is there a way to keep more than one open at a time?

hfremuth

• View Profile
    Import from TP7
    « Reply #5 on: 2011-05-09 13:16:01 »
    > Do you then switch between your photo database and the clipart data? Or is there a way to keep more than one open at a time?

ThumbsPlus can only open one DB at a time.

bobroosth

• View Profile
    Import from TP7
    « Reply #6 on: 2011-05-09 22:19:10 »
    > [*]Create a dedicated ThumbsPlus database for offline discs. I did this years ago for a collection of cliparts and fonts, worked fine for me. Simply take your v7 database and convert it to v8. Then, remove all thumbnails other than the offline volumes and run the command "Database -> Advanced -> Compact and repair..."
    >

Did that. The converted DB does not have anything in the tree for Offline CDs. I have TP7 on another computer. I can open the data there. I tried an export, but found nothing useful....

I think am going to have to re-scan.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    Import from TP7
    « Reply #7 on: 2011-05-09 23:15:02 »
    Bob, what may have gone wrong with your first attempt at the time is that maybe you did not export the actual thumbnail (image) data. That takes up heaps of space and the exported text file could easily go over any 2GB or 4GB filesize limits. However, with offline media, you have to include those thumbnail data, or else you'll have to re-scan all those discs to re-create the thumbnails in your new database.

(which, as an aside, would give you an opportunity to check if those aging discs can actually still be read; and make backups if you're beginning to get read-errors)

Still, you should be able to export those thumbnails from TP7, maybe a few discs at a time, and import them into TP8.

Once you have done that and you want to split your new database into two (one for online media and one for offline media), you can simply exit TP and copy your database file, and then relaunch TP and use it to remove all 'online' thumbnails from the first database, and all 'offline' thumbnails from the second database.
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.