Author Topic: TP9 won't launch  (Read 3251 times)

Bernie

TP9 won't launch
« on: 2015-06-14 13:23:14 »
Hi,

On my desktop machine, I have successfully installed TP9 (no error during install and nothing about failed install in the install log.

However, none of the ThumbsPlus9 program won't launch! Rex, Debug... neither and no error message is displayed! Simply TP9 seems to start but I never got any running TP! When trying Rex... debug log file is created but empty!

I did try many installation options, (default, Old style) w/o success. (Install completed... but TP won't start w/o window alert/error).

I have tried almost all TP9 versions (old one up to most recent) w/o success!

However, TP8 well works!

My machine is single processor XP migrated to Vista and later to Win7 SP1.
I have 2Gb RAM.

Is there launch parameter which could be tried so that to have a chance to catch the root cause?

Regards
Bernie

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TP9 won't launch
« Reply #1 on: 2015-06-14 16:12:15 »
> However, none of the ThumbsPlus9 program won't launch! Rex, Debug... neither and no error message is displayed! Simply TP9 seems to start but I never got any running TP! When trying Rex... debug log file is created but empty!

I don't know what you mean by Rex, but have you tried a Safe Mode startup? When you lookup ThumbsPlus in Windows' Start | Programs menu, it's under Utilities.

You could also try to delete (or better: rename) thumbs9.ini and thumbs9.config and then try the Safe Mode launch, preferably with administrator rights (right-click on the entry for 'ThumbsPlus 9 (Safe Mode)' and use 'run as..').
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Bernie

TP9 won't launch
« Reply #2 on: 2015-06-15 14:39:24 »
Thanks for your suggestion.
Rex stand for Thumbsrex which is located in utilities folder.
The safe mode started with admin rights don't give results.
I have tried with -notwain also.
same results! TP9 seems to start but stop w/o further information.
Regards
Bernie

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TP9 won't launch
« Reply #3 on: 2015-06-15 16:52:02 »
> The safe mode started with admin rights don't give results.

Too bad..!  Well, in that case, my only remaining suggestion would be to run SysInternals' Process Monitor ([link=https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx]link[/link]), to see if it shows any useful information about what ThumbsPlus is trying to do when it halts. That could give you an answer (or at least a clue) as to the cause of the problem.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Bernie

TP9 won't launch
« Reply #4 on: 2015-06-16 13:01:50 »
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion.
I will see what I could derive from.
Will come back later this week.
Regards
Bernie