Author Topic: Keywords doesn't get displayed  (Read 10142 times)

runner

• View Profile
Keywords doesn't get displayed
« on: 2021-01-01 12:23:39 »
I installed a new PC. I have reinstalled my ThumpsPlus Pro 10 license on it. When I open ThumpsPlus Pro 10, the Thumpnails are displayed with the appropriate defaults. What does not work is the display of the keywords although I have marked the display accordingly in the setup. If I enter new keywords they are displayed. The old keywords are not displayed. What do i wrong?

My photos are stored on a NAS. OS is windows10 pro 64

Can someone help me please?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Keywords doesn't get displayed
« Reply #1 on: 2021-01-01 16:10:41 »
Are you positively using the same database as before and are you consistently accessing your images through the same path (in the tree panel) as before?

Did you, from outside of ThumbsPlus, change the name of the NAS server, a drive volume name on it or the name of a folder on it?

Did you store your keywords only in the database or also inside the image files (IPTC header of JPG/PNG/TIF) ?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2021-01-03 10:47:29 »
Are you positively using the same database as before and are you consistently accessing your images through the same path (in the tree panel) as before?

Yes! I didn't chance anything, the paths as well the tree are as before

Did you, from outside of ThumbsPlus, change the name of the NAS server, a drive volume name on it or the name of a folder on it?

No the NAS, the access to the path are as before also. the same at volume and folder names.

Did you store your keywords only in the database or also inside the image files (IPTC header of JPG/PNG/TIF) ?
I entered all keywords into the database via ThumpsPlus interface. I have checked the database via the MDBPlus tool (viewer) so I could see the database table of the keywords. The Keywords are all in!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2021-01-03 18:53:07 »
When you look at the main screen of ThumbsPlus, there is a toolbar right above the thumbnail listing. There's an icon in it of a yellow lightbulb. When you click on that, is 'keywords' shown as 'On' there as well?

Before proceeding, could you go to Options | Preferences | Thumbnails and turn 'make thumbnails automatically' off, if it isn't already off?

I think you already know and confirmed this, but just to be 100% sure:  When images are on a NAS, there can be multiple ways to access them. For instance, by entering a UNC path, or by going through the network neighborhood, or through a mapped drive letter, or even by IP. With ThumbsPlus, it's very important that you always access your image files the same way as when you made their thumbnails. If you do not (and 'make thumbnails automatically' is on), then ThumbsPlus may show you thumbnails that do not have any keywords even though you have entered them and they are in the database. It's just that ThumbsPlus does not know that \\MyNas\Data\Images\Kids.jpg is the same file as P:\Kids.jpg. To me, this still seems to be the most likely explanation for the problem that you are seeing.

If that is not it, you could try this: Go to Edit | Find, press Clear All, set 'Restrict search' to 'Entire Database', go to the Keywords tab and press 'build list', then double-click on a suitable keyword and press OK to search for it. When one or more files have been found, open one in the viewer/editor and do File | Go to folder. This should take you to the folder where the file with the keyword was found and now you can check if the other files there have their keywords, too.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2021-01-04 11:47:23 »
By the change on a new PC, a new PC name was assigned. In the database there is a table 'hosts' in which an 'idhost' is assigned as index to the 'host' name. Here I also find the no longer used name of the discarded PC.

Maybe this is the reason that the keywords entered in the old PC are no longer displayed in the new PC. So I would have to test if this behaves like this.

Yes -- with images that are on a network, ThumbsPlus does use the server name as one of the properties to match the image files with the corresponding thumbnail records in the database.  However, my understanding is that this would be the name of the NAS, not that of the PC.

You could go to Options | Preferences | Tab:Thumbnails and see the section 'Volume matching strategy' (lower right). When you turn 'Match Network Drives Using Share Names' off, ThumbsPlus should use the volume label of the drive instead. Maybe that will solve the problem.

For this I would like to change the entries in the table 'host' to check this. Unfortunately I don't have an ACCESS editor. Do you know any software that can do this?

With MDB Viewer Plus you should be able to edit the fields that you see.

If the above doesn't help..:

Here I could find the pictures by entering of different keywords set in my former DesktopPC.

So, did you go to their folder? What is the name of the volume that the images are stored on, according to ThumbsPlus? Is it shown in grey letters, to indicate that the volume is no longer present? When you right-click on that volume and choose 'Volume Properties', it will show a comparison of its physical location and its database records. Something here may explain why the database records no longer match the physical volume.

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2021-01-09 09:45:41 »
Yes -- with images that are on a network, ThumbsPlus does use the server name as one of the properties to match the image files with the corresponding thumbnail records in the database.  However, my understanding is that this would be the name of the NAS, not that of the PC.

You could go to Options | Preferences | Tab:Thumbnails and see the section 'Volume matching strategy' (lower right). When you turn 'Match Network Drives Using Share Names' off, ThumbsPlus should use the volume label of the drive instead. Maybe that will solve the problem.

I have tried the tip. Unfortunately without success. Therefore I have set the UNC path again.

With MDB Viewer Plus you should be able to edit the fields that you see.

If the above doesn't help..:

So, did you go to their folder? What is the name of the volume that the images are stored on, according to ThumbsPlus? Is it shown in grey letters, to indicate that the volume is no longer present? When you right-click on that volume and choose 'Volume Properties', it will show a comparison of its physical location and its database records. Something here may explain why the database records no longer match the physical volume.

Attached please find a view of the current volume setup. The properties are as shown.

I have also tested the search function. The keywords entered were recognized. In the directory "Found Files" the found images with keywords were displayed.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed. It seems to me that I get no improvement with this image management software. It's a shame after working with it for so many years.

Many thanks for the help so far  :)

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2021-01-09 10:08:06 »
So far I have accessed the image directory via the UNC path. TP also offers an "Offline Network/home on Lanstorage" directory which also contains my pictures directory. By chance I found this directory for the first time, where all directories of my NAS ("Lanstorage" is the name of my NAS) are stored. So also the pictures.

When I was browsing through the images, the keywords were displayed at the thumps!

I must say that this is all a bit confusing. I would like to know why once the keywords are displayed here and on my former old PC in the normal directory path?

It would be nice if the developer could contribute something to clarify....

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2021-01-09 10:25:31 »
I have also tested the search function. The keywords entered were recognized. In the directory "Found Files" the found images with keywords were displayed.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Well, as I suggested earlier:

"When one or more files have been found, open one in the viewer/editor and do File | Go to folder. This should take you to the folder where the file with the keyword was found and now you can check if the other files there have their keywords, too."

So, what folder does it take you to?

The volume information looks good. But it's strange that your old thumbnails can also be found under Offline Network, because that would indicate that the NAS is currently down... Or that your old thumbnails are no longer recognized as being from the NAS, but again, the volume information seems to match OK.

Earlier, I also asked: "Before proceeding, could you go to Options | Preferences | Thumbnails and turn 'make thumbnails automatically' off, if it isn't already off?"

So, was 'make thumbnails automatically' on or off?

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2021-01-09 12:54:35 »
Well, as I suggested earlier:

"When one or more files have been found, open one in the viewer/editor and do File | Go to folder. This should take you to the folder where the file with the keyword was found and now you can check if the other files there have their keywords, too."

So, what folder does it take you to?

Afters searching by a keyword I switch to the "Fount Files" folder and open a picture in the view mode. Afterwards I use the line File|Go to Folder. That brings me back to the origin Folder every time.

The volume information looks good. But it's strange that your old thumbnails can also be found under Offline Network, because that would indicate that the NAS is currently down... Or that your old thumbnails are no longer recognized as being from the NAS, but again, the volume information seems to match OK.

In case the NAS is down I get a message on start up that TP cannot find the database. If the NAS has started TP works well so far. During the session: If there is no access for 30 minutes, the connection is closed. With the next access, the NAS starts up again immediately.

Earlier, I also asked: "Before proceeding, could you go to Options | Preferences | Thumbnails and turn 'make thumbnails automatically' off, if it isn't already off?"

So, was 'make thumbnails automatically' on or off?

The  'make thumbnails automatically' is OFF!

Attached some screens of preferences and the file trees with the general arrangement of my images

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2021-01-09 12:56:18 »
Next attachments: The file trees

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2021-01-09 14:21:34 »
The screenshots show that you have configured TP to not show the network in the tree panel, and that you are accessing the image files through a mapped drive letter, "l:".

So, a possible explanation would be that on the old computer, you did show the network in the tree panel, and you accessed the images through this Network entry in the tree.

To test this, you could turn off "Do not show the network branch" in Options | Preferences | Disks&Folders (and maybe refresh the tree, Ctrl-F5) to see if your old thumbnails can be found under 'Network'.

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2021-01-10 09:58:26 »
I have carried out all your suggestions. Unfortunately, there were no changes in the display or new findings.

I did 2 more different tests. The result shows

Test version 1
Test 1.1: I have inserted a new keyword over the network directory into the image "..0901.jpg".
Test 1.2: Then I looked at the result in directory L (volume path). The new keyword is not displayed.

Test version 2 (Now in reverse order)
Test 2.1: I inserted a new keyword in the image "..0900.jpg" in the L directory.
Test 2.2: Then I looked at the result in network directory. The new keyword is not displayed.

Next:

I have also changed the host assignment of the table "host" in the TP database, i.e. I have entered the PC name of the old PC in the table. This measure also showed no change.

I am faced with a riddle. My guess is that some setting in the database (query) is not working as it should. I could of course reinstall TP completely and create a new database in the process. But that would mean that all keywords and image mappings would be lost.

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2021-01-10 09:59:45 »
More attachments  :)

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2021-01-10 11:58:49 »
The outcome of your test was entirely predictable.  That is why I asked, in my first message:  "are you consistently accessing your images through the same path (in the tree panel) as before?"

Do you still have a backup of your database from before you changed your computer? If so, you could take a copy of that database and load it using Database | Open in the menu. Be very sure that "make thumbnails automatically" is still off, and that you do not make any new thumbnails.

Then follow my earlier suggestions of searching for your keywords, to locate the original folders where the images were stored according to ThumbsPlus (or, manually browse until you find the greyed-out folders with your original thumbnails. Maybe they are in Offline Network, but they might also be in a greyed-out drive under Dieser PC). You can check the volume properties of that drive to hopefully see why it no longer matches the current situation. Maybe the drive mapping is different, maybe a volume name or drive serial number has changed, maybe a server name.. but something has definitely changed.

runner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2021-01-10 12:53:33 »
Unfortunately I don't have an old backup of the database from my old PC. I think that I can not solve my problem and maybe I have to bite the bullet and rebuild the database from scratch.

I would like to thank you very much for your support! :) :)

Greetings
Rainer Kuntz, Germany