Author Topic: Web Page Wizard creates broken links.  (Read 3446 times)

rpMTL

• View Profile
Web Page Wizard creates broken links.
« on: 2016-01-11 17:34:32 »
The first version of TP that I purchased was v3 and I kept upgrading until v5 or v6, can't remember. I'm now back to giving it another chance and have installed the v10 trial on a system running Windows 10.

As a commercial photographer I've used Photoshop's "Web Photo Gallery" plugin for many years to generate simple table based image browsers that can easily be edited to taste. I use a script to strip out the old table html tags and then style the result in a CSS stylesheet. It's a quick and easy way to get my photos online for clients to view in a contact sheet format and the system continues to work well.

Adobe has discontinued support for its "Web Photo Gallery" plugin since the perpetual license version of CS6. So I'm looking for a replacement and remembered that TP offers a simple method of creating table based browsers.

My first attempt has failed. Using the sample images included with the TP installation I created a web browser and all the image links are broken. I chose custom folders for both the images and the thumbnails and the browsers still think the images are in the root of the site:

Testing folder name is "TP_Test", the custom images folder name is "images", and the custom thumbnails folder name is thumbnails"

Here are the resulting HTML links:

The thumbnails link (for example) becomes:
img src="tn_barn_jpg.jpg"
when it should be
img src="thumbnails/tn_barn_jpg.jpg"

Images on each page becomes:
img src="barn.jpg"
when it should be
img src="images/barn.jpg"

I followed each "Web Page Wizard" configuration pane carefully and repeated the exercise numerous times and the same error appears.

Am I doing something wrong?

Also, why are the JPG thumbnail names appended with"_jpg"?

Russell

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-11 20:00:12 »
> Testing folder name is "TP_Test", the custom images folder name is "images", and the custom thumbnails folder name is thumbnails"

When you choose the 'custom folders/URLs' option, you can't specify only folder names. You have to specify the URL names too.

In this case, your base folder may have been D:\TP_Test with image folder D:\TP_Test\Images and thumbnails folder D:\TP_Test\Thumbnails. The corresponding URLs to enter (relative to the TP_Test base folder) would then have been Images\ and Thumbnails\.

However I would strongly recommend that you just keep everything in one folder, which avoids any such problems and makes it much easier to put up (or remove) a web presentation for your client.

> Also, why are the JPG thumbnail names appended with"_jpg"?

When the original image is MYHORSE.PNG, the thumbnail name becomes MYHORSE_PNG.jpg (or tn_MYHORSE_PNG.jpg). So, it preserves the original file extension, which may be useful when your page includes MYHORSE.JPG, MYHORSE.GIF, MYHORSE.PNG and you wonder which thumbnail goes with which image.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

rpMTL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-11 23:12:30 »
Thanks Daan, that fixed it :-)

Note that I need separate sub-folders because of what I do to integrate the browser inside an existing webpage design - often in more than one language with pages that share the same thumbnails and images. I'd also prefer that the individual pages also be in a separate sub-folder and only have the page.htm pages reside in the root. I can do this afterwards if I move them in Dreamweaver and let it update the links. But it would be easier if that option was there.

The page and thumbnail naming with "_jpg" added looks messy and redundant. I guess that's something that was decided when the script was written. But I'm not sure I can live with that.

fwiw here's a link to a potter's website that I recently put together that uses Photoshop's old Web Photo Gallery plugin to generate the browser on the "Works" page.

http://www.johngutteridge.ca

If TP could easily replace the old Photoshop plugin I'd no longer need to keep 2 versions of Photoshop installed (CS6 + CC2015).

Thanks for your help in fixing what was not working in my 1st attempts.

Russell