Author Topic: Move V9 tpdb8 file to new computer  (Read 3073 times)

SamS

• View Profile
Move V9 tpdb8 file to new computer
« on: 2013-10-13 22:23:47 »
I have V9 on an XP machine, which I am shutting down.  Installed V9 from web site on new Win 8.1 64-bit machine. Moved all the jpg etc files and almost 2G-sized tpdb8 database to new machine.  The directories and files show, but not a single thumbnail, keyword, etc.  

What is the best approach to fix his?  Thanks.

SamS

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2013-10-13 23:40:18 »
Well, I already figured most of this out, by recreating the disk labels and the thumbs magically appeared.  I also had a 2nd f: drive in the XP and those files got brought over (via Windows Easy Transfer)to the W8 machine, complete with subdirectories but in the C: disc.  So, now I have greyed-out thumbnail directories and the actual files listed separately.

Is the best approach to drag the grayed-out thumbnails to their corresponding actual file location or vice-versa or something else?  Thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-10-14 04:47:54 »
> Is the best approach to drag the grayed-out thumbnails to their corresponding actual file location [..]

Yes, but keep a backup of your database file and be sure to have "Options | Preferences | Thumbnails | Auto-remove Orphans" off. Also, drag-n-drop any subfolders before you do the folders.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

SamS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-10-15 18:23:46 »
"drag-n-drop any subfolders before you do the folders"

I am having success doing it this way, but it also worked when I dragged a folder with several subfolders.  What is the reason you recommend to do the subfolders first?
 Thanks.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2013-10-16 00:58:45 »
> I am having success doing it this way, but it also worked when I dragged a folder with several subfolders.  What is the reason you recommend to do the subfolders first?

That's how it had to be done in the past (v7), but if it worked for you, maybe it's no longer necessary with v9!
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

SamS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-05 19:36:43 »
What worked for me was to expand the directories involved so that the subdirectories show.  Otherwise, all files in the subdirectories will be dumped into the target directory.