Author Topic: Illustrator CS5 support????  (Read 3240 times)

pbrama

• View Profile
Illustrator CS5 support????
« on: 2014-06-17 12:51:27 »
I've posted a couple "tickets" for help over the past couple months.... no one replies... so I will try here.

Have been a TP user for years.   I use it a great deal to put "watermarks" and resize copies of artwork I do for proofing by clients.    Works GREAT for that... until....

I upgraded from Adobe Illustrator CS3 to CS5.   Now TP won't preview or work with those files.

I thought it was because I was running an older version of TP.   So I popped for the upgrade and got TP9.   Still doesn't work.

Any suggestions or reasons why?  Any solutions?   I desperately need this.    Right now I have to RESAVE all my files as JPGs THEN run them through TP for the watermark and RESIZE.   This doesn't work for me.    

Thanks

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2014-06-17 14:48:53 »
Well, ThumbsPlus has never supported .ai files internally, but you may have loaded those Illustrator files either through OLE (if Illustrator supports Windows' "Object Linking and Embedding" method) or through the Ghostscript PDF plug-in (which can read some but not all .ai files).

If you still have your older (working with .ai) copy of ThumbsPlus installed: Run it, right-click on an .ai file, pick "Configure File Type" and see what it says for "Load File Using"..:

[*]If it's OLE, the field to the right will probably show the name of the application that is actually reading the file and passing it on to ThumbsPlus. You can then launch ThumbsPlus 9 and do the same thing to replicate this setting there.

[*]If it's Cerious Plug-in, you'll first have to get the PDF plug-in to work with ThumbsPlus 9 on your system. See the [msg=2950]2nd message on this page[/msg] for instructions. Then right-click on an .ai file, pick the Configure File Type option again and set Load Using to "Cerious Plug-in" and the field at its right to "plug_gs.tpp".

[*]If it's something else, try to duplicate that in ThumbsPlus 9 and if that doesn't work, let me know what it was :)
    [/list]

If you no longer have your old ThumbsPlus installed, you could just try these loading methods for .ai files in ThumbsPlus 9 to see which one works. I'd start with the OLE option because it should be the easiest and most accurate, if it's available on your system.
    I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

pbrama

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: 2014-06-18 20:33:58 »
    Thanks for the info...  

was going to try the GhostScript thread directions but something seems to be missing in regards to TP9 setup....

[*]Tell ThumbsPlus where to find Ghostscript:
      [*]in TP7: Options | File Plugins | Ghostscript PS/EPS/PDF | Ghostscript installation location
      [*]in TP9: Options | Ghostscript PS/EPS/PDF | Ghostscript installation location
      [/list]

IN TP9, if I go to OPTIONS there is no choice for Ghostscript... just

[*]Preferences
        [*]Viewing
        [*]File Loading
        [*]Customize
        [*]Set Main Font
        [*]Tasks
        [*]Add External Program
        [/list]

Not sure where to set this up or how.   Any suggestions?

Pete

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
          • View Profile
        « Reply #3 on: 2014-06-18 22:10:12 »
        > IN TP9, if I go to OPTIONS there is no choice for Ghostscript...

Looks like you haven't installed the plug-in yet. Download [link=http://home.telfort.nl/dvrdata/plug_gs.zip]this file[/link] and unzip its contents (the actual plug-in, plug_gs.tpp) to the plugins subfolder of your TP9 program folder. Then launch TP9 and the option should appear. Of course, Ghostscriipt should already be installed also, otherwise you can't point TP9 to its location.
        I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Equisetum

« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-22 13:20:12 »
        Thanks for your instructions! No more going round in circles with PDF and AI files every time I need to re-install TP on a new system! I thought others who searched the forum on .ai might like to know that I got CS6 AI files to read on TP7 Pro SP2 doing just what you said (once I'd remembered I had to tell TP where the new gs download was and got the PDF viewer working: right-clicked on an AI file to get to "configure type," told TP to load using the Cerious plug-in and plug_gs.tpp to the right and voila! TP is busy making thumbnails in the AI directory as I write!

I might suggest unchecking the "associate this file type with TP" box, as most of us want AI files to open with AI when double clicked. The usefulness of this to me is that now I can see a thumbnail of the file rather than the AI icon/thumbnail and know what I'm dragging to AI.

(I keep my collection of AI files in my master "JPEGS" (meaning all image files) directory where all are handy to TP, and open by dragging to AI. It's terrifically useful to have it all handy and know exactly what I'm opening.)

mm