Author Topic: Help please - configure htm and html filetypes?  (Read 14579 times)

diana

• View Profile
Help please - configure htm and html filetypes?
« on: 2012-03-14 00:57:18 »
I have configured htm/html files in previous versions of ThumbsPlus and it worked a while in TP7Pro, but it's broken once again. I've forgotten how to fix it as it's been a while since I had to do it. I love thumbnails of web pages but can't make them in TP7Pro anymore or beta 9 in WinXP SP3 or Win 7.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-14 14:18:38 »
In the past, Internet Explorer supported OLE so it could render a webpage, generate an image of it and pass that on to other applications, like ThumbsPlus. However, it could also be used to render malicious code, and so Microsoft disabled this functionality.

You can re-enable this functionality on your own risk by editing your registry. A ready-made .reg file that does this (when you double-click it after saving it) can be downloaded from line item #162, "Restore HTML, HTM, URL Thumb View", from [link=http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm]http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm[/link].

That particular .reg file also enables thumbnails for a few other formats that you may not be interested in though. The lines to keep for .htm, .html and .mht functionality are these:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.html\shellex\{BB2E617C [etc.]
@="{EAB841A0-9550-11cf-8C16-00805F1408F3}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.htm\shellex\{BB2E617C [etc.]
@="{EAB841A0-9550-11cf-8C16-00805F1408F3}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mht\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{c5a40261-cd64-4ccf-84cb-c394da41d590}"

note that some of the the original lines were too long to copy here, so I edited them with '[etc.]'.
Do not use these (now crippled) lines - use the .reg file linked above.

In ThumbsPlus, your file type definitions (Options | Preferences | File Types, look for .HTM in the Documents category) should be as follows:

For .HTM:

For .HTML:

For .MHT:

When you've done this, reboot and see if it works. If it does not, you may have to change the "Load Using" value for .HTM files from Internal to OLE.

I hope this helps!
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

diana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-15 12:08:28 »
Thanks so much for your detailed instructions with images Daan. It worked great for htm and html files for both TP7Pro and the TP9 beta on WinXP but couldn't find a combination of settings to work with the mht files in either version of Thumbsplus on XP.

I rarely use mht files so that's not an issue for me though. I stripped out the downloaded reg file to only leave the htm, html and mht file parts then merged that and rebooted before tweaking TP's settings.

I also emailed myself a copy of your message and a copy of the original reg file and my edited reg file so maybe I will be able to find it next time. I know the registry settings will get deleted again, it's happened before because they were not there today when I checked before merging the reg file.

I'll have to see if that works on a Windows 7 machine too; it's such a crotchety bear of an OS compared to XP, always wanting to protect itself from me. ;-)

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-15 12:27:04 »
Glad to hear that you got it working (for HTML anyway)!

Yes, these instructions were from the XP days - I should have mentioned that. I don't know if they'll work with Windows 7 / IE9, but I think there's a good chance that they will. Please let me know when you get round to it!
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

diana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-15 13:19:40 »
Update - installed TP9 beta 3 and I'm ready to punch someone or something.

I can no longer thumbnail htm and html files in the just released TP9 beta 3; nothing I can do in the settings in TP9b3 to fix it that I can find. The settings that worked in TP7Pro and TP9b2 don't work in TP9b3. At least TP7Pro still works fine thumbnailing web pages and the registry settings for htm and html files are intact.

I'm extra cranky because TP9b3 stole all my file associations too and does it again every time it runs.  arg!

diana

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-03-16 15:52:44 »
I am sorry to report that the Kellys Korner htm/hmtl registry fix for Windows XP did not work for TP7Pro nor TB9b2 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with IE8. IE9 is incompatible with my frequently used software so I can't install it.  I restored my original  Win 7 registry settings once I'd tried the web page thumbnailing with all the settings inside TP as you described.