Author Topic: Unable to write XMP information to file, error #00000009  (Read 3920 times)

George Curran

• View Profile
Every time I same a file within Thumbs V 10 SP1 I get the pop-up message "TPv70BB.tmp.jpg : Unable to write XMP information to file, Error #00000009 CreateTempFile : Can't find unique name. Message <5751*6>"

The files seem to save OK, although I don't know what has gone missing from the header, if anything.

It's more of a nuisance and a worry that anything else, but does anybody else get this message and/or know how to prevent it recurring???

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Unable to write XMP information to file, error #00000009
« Reply #1 on: 2017-11-29 10:51:18 »
I haven't seen this message, myself. Do you get this when working with regular JPG files? And do you get it even when you haven't knowingly changed any metadata?

Have you checked the temp folder on your system to see if there are any old stuck files there that you could clean up? You can usually get there through Start | Run and then enter: %temp% .
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

George Curran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-11-30 08:43:00 »
Thanks for the reply.

I used Windows 10 system cleanup to try and get rid of unused and redundant files. It didn't help.

I don't normally alter the metadata, and I work exclusively with simple .jpg files.

In the past, the occurrence always annoyed me, but I just ignored it and kept going with whatever I was doing.

I explored the problem a little more, just now. The error pops up every time I save a file, or save as. However, I hadn't realized that it only occurred when working on/saving files that are on my home network storage devices. That's the location where all the raw .jpg file are initially stored, and where all my project files are stored.

The error doesn't seem to pop up when saving to a USB thumb drive or to the C: drive.

I haven't noticed or experienced any other weirdness reading and writing files to the network drive in any other software.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-11-30 09:07:20 »
> However, I hadn't realized that it only occurred when working on/saving files that are on my home network storage devices.

That's interesting. But off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason why TP would have problems saving temporary files on that network drive when you can save image files there. Or, maybe there's some confusion in TP about the expected location of the temporary files.

If I think of something that might explain it, I'll let you know, but for now, I think it would be a good idea if you report it as a bug to support@cerious.com. They'll want to know the program version used, Windows version, and the full pathname of one of those JPG files (and possibly more - maybe they'll ask you to generate a full problem report using the function under Help in the program).
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

George Curran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-11-30 09:37:30 »
If you do think of a reason for the behaviour I would be very interested and to hear, and thankfull.

I haven't explored what, if any  consequences flow from the error.

In the past and again more recently I have submitted bug reports and pretty much the same question to the support address, but didn't get any response. I gather the developers are pretty busy and so I didn't press the matter further. Then I thought I would try to find a solution within the forum after not finding any reference to the problem from various searches.

George Curran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2017-11-30 10:10:03 »
My Windows 7 desktop suffers the same error pop-ups.

I don't get the pop-ups if I tick the "Remove file information (EXIF, IPTC)" box in the save dialog.

Maybe it's something to do with the Seagate drives.