Author Topic: SVG file type viewer?  (Read 4219 times)

Connie

• View Profile
SVG file type viewer?
« on: 2016-08-22 20:12:27 »
Is there any filter or viewer for .SVG files in TP10?  I can edit my SVG files with Inkscape, but it takes so awfully long to load Inkscape so that I can get a copy onto the clipboard and use Make Thumbnail From Clipboard.

Thanks,
Connie

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SVG file type viewer?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-08-23 00:35:52 »
> Is there any filter or viewer for .SVG files in TP10?

I don't know of one. If I remember correctly, Internet Explorer can display .svg files. Have you tried if that works, maybe it is faster?
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Connie

• View Profile
SVG file type viewer?
« Reply #2 on: 2017-11-13 20:22:36 »
> > Is there any filter or viewer for .SVG files in TP10?
>
> I don't know of one. If I remember correctly, Internet Explorer can display .svg files. Have you tried if that works, maybe it is faster?

Hi Daan,

OK -- it's been over a year and I'm back trying to figure out how to display the .svg file using Chrome.

I've tried configuring the file type, but can't figure out what to put to allow the file to open (view) using Chrome.  

When I go into file explorer, the SVG's thumbnail looks fine.  When I right click and choose Open with Chrome, it looks fine.  

What would I put in the Configure File Types dialog box to view the file in a Chrome browser window?  (when I choose Edit, it opens in Inkscape)

Regs, Connie

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SVG file type viewer?
« Reply #3 on: 2017-11-13 23:28:47 »
Hi Connie,

The only way that I can think of would be if you have an OLE-compatible application that supports SVG. I do not know if Chrome qualifies, but if it does, you would set 'Load Using' to 'OLE' and in the field to the right of that you would select Chrome. If you have other applications that support OLE and that might support SVG (maybe a CAD program, flowcharter, DTP, word processor?) you could give those a try too. You'll find a list of the available OLE servers on your system in that right field.

Even if that works, it would likely still be quite slow because the OLE compatible application would have to load in order to process the image and forward it to ThumbsPlus. When you have multiple files to thumbnail, you can speed things up by launching that OLE-compatible program in advance, so it doesn't have to launch and exit all over again for every image file that you want to thumbnail.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Connie

• View Profile
SVG file type viewer?
« Reply #4 on: 2017-11-16 12:21:30 »
> Hi Connie,
>
> The only way that I can think of would be if you have an OLE-compatible application that supports SVG. I do not know if Chrome qualifies, but if it does, you would set 'Load Using' to 'OLE' and in the field to the right of that you would select Chrome. If you have other applications that support OLE and that might support SVG (maybe a CAD program, flowcharter, DTP, word processor?) you could give those a try too. You'll find a list of the available OLE servers on your system in that right field.

Thanks Dann,

I tried looking for OLE-capable products that I might have loaded.  Not much joy there, even though I've got the full MS suite, plus other software.  

> Even if that works, it would likely still be quite slow because the OLE compatible application would have to load in order to process the image and forward it to ThumbsPlus. When you have multiple files to thumbnail, you can speed things up by launching that OLE-compatible program in advance, so it doesn't have to launch and exit all over again for every image file that you want to thumbnail.

So far, it seems that my only option is to let the SVG file open in Inkscape, select & copy the image, and do 'make thumbnail from clipboard' in TP.  I really liked your idea of leaving the application loaded, but it doesn't speed up the process in TP.  From what I've gathered, Inkscape is not OLE-compatible.  Marvelous.

I did see something in a google search that had a hit on Cerious' Facebook page, which seemed to indicate that at some point, TP would be supporting SVG.  However, I haven't yet queried Cerious directly on that, and I'm NOT a Facebook fan.  

If I find out anything more on that, I'll post it.

Thanks again,
Connie