Author Topic: Updating name of external drives  (Read 3724 times)

aslaksen

• View Profile
Updating name of external drives
« on: 2016-05-21 03:29:18 »
I recently used Disk Management to change the name of one my external drives. When I opened up TP, both the old and the new names appeared under Computer. Is there any way for me to change the name of the old version in TP or any other way to update TP? In the end I had to remove all the thumbs in the old version, refresh, and remake thumbs in the new one. There's probably something simple I'm missing, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-05-21 05:05:14 »
> I recently used Disk Management to change the name of one my external drives. When I opened up TP, both the old and the new names appeared under Computer. Is there any way for me to change the name of the old version in TP or any other way to update TP?

Well, you could have avoided the problem by doing the renaming in ThumbsPlus itself. But once the problem exists, the easiest solutions are:

1) Go back to Disk Management and undo the change. Then launch TP and rename the drive again from there.
 2) Use MS Access, MDB Viewer or another program to edit the drive's name in the database file. It's stored in the 'Volume' table, in a field named 'Label'.

(note: Don't do any of these things while TP is running)

> In the end I had to remove all the thumbs in the old version, refresh, and remake thumbs in the new one.

If 'Automatically Remove Orphans' is off in TP, you could also have drag-and-dropped the grayed-out folders of the 'old' drive to their counterparts on the 'new' drive. That would have reconnected the orphaned thumbnails with their corresponding image files.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

aslaksen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-05-21 07:47:21 »
Dear Daan,

I tried the third solution, but forgot about the 'Automatically Remove Orphans' option. Thanks!

Helmer