Author Topic: 30-bit display support  (Read 14451 times)

jwalbea

• View Profile
30-bit display support
« on: 2016-12-12 15:35:10 »
Does ThumbsPlus support 30-bit displays?

Here are some example articles on the topic.  It seems that support for 30-bit is not common.

https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/10-bit-output-support

https://photographylife.com/what-is-30-bit-photography-workflow

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
30-bit display support
« Reply #1 on: 2016-12-12 16:15:47 »
> Does ThumbsPlus support 30-bit displays?

In Windows, programs don't support displays (the OS, video card and its driver do). The Pro version of ThumbsPlus can display and edit images with up to 48-bit color depth.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

jwalbea

• View Profile
30-bit display support
« Reply #2 on: 2016-12-12 16:43:45 »
From this article, updated last February, that author believes there is some software support needed.

https://photographylife.com/what-is-30-bit-photography-workflow

"Fourth, you will need imaging software that can support 30 bit output. Unfortunately, this is where the biggest issue is today – aside from a small number of software packages like Adobe Photoshop CS6 / CC / CC 2014 and Zoner Photo Studio, there is no other software on the market with 30 bit support. As far as I know, Lightroom 5 still does not have 10 bit support right now and just applies dithering to make images appear smoother."

--
I'll be upgrading my hardware for this soon and will give it a try.  If it works we will need to correct that and other articles.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
30-bit display support
« Reply #3 on: 2016-12-12 18:26:23 »
> From this article, updated last February, that author believes there is some software support needed.

That's strange.. it makes it sound like this 30b mode is something non-standard. Ordinarily a program can tell what color mode the O/S is using and adapt its behaviour to it. I'll see if I can get some further information.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
30-bit display support
« Reply #4 on: 2016-12-16 16:31:27 »
Your suspicions were correct and I was wrong - ThumbsPlus does NOT currently support higher-than-24-bit video modes. So, when you load a suitable image e.g. with 48b color depth, it will only be shown in 24b. Cerious is looking into it for a future version.

jwalbea

• View Profile
30-bit display support
« Reply #5 on: 2016-12-16 16:45:28 »
Thank you for researching that for us Daan.  Now we can start looking for that enhancement from Cerious.