Author Topic: Database Error  (Read 3931 times)

mkjensen

• View Profile
Database Error
« on: 2016-11-04 03:14:41 »
Hi,

Using ThumbsPlus 10 Sp1(4011) and creating a new database, I am all of a sudden being shown the following error when adding thumbnails:

<5015•8004> Database error: Unable to add thumbnail <-1206•HY000> [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] General database provider error (native code = -1206). This may be caused by a full disk or a database reaching the maximum size.

My hard disk is not full and have 40gb of free space.
I am using Windows 7 SP1 and all recommended patches from Microsoft.

The database used is MS Access format with 37,937 thumbnails and total file size of 2,1GB.

I have tried to Compact and Repair the database with and without Cleanup Dangling Rows before Compact and Remove Unused Keywords, as well as restarting my computer, but no luck in adding thumbnails.

I haven't been able to find anything about limit of databases, though,

Any ideas would be very much appreciated, thanks.

Gary

• View Profile
Database Error
« Reply #1 on: 2016-11-04 10:00:54 »
You have hit the dreaded 2GB limit of the Access Database. You can cut back on thumbnail size/quality, eliminate keywords, etc to try to cut down on the record size for each thumbnail to fit more in the 2GB limit.  You could divide your images into multiple databases.  Otherwise, you are stuck.  :(

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Database Error
« Reply #2 on: 2016-11-04 10:16:52 »
MS Access type databases, like the one used by default by ThumbsPlus, have a 2GB size limit. You must be using pretty large thumbnails to cross that limit with only 38K thumbnails, though, or maybe you don't use JPG compression for the thumbnails? Personally I use 160x160 pixel thumbnails, with JPG compression at 'Q88' (quality level 88).

If you can't compromise on the size or compression of the thumbnails, you could use the SQLite3 database format instead. This is supported by ThumbsPlus too (See Database | New) and it has no size limit, other than any size limits imposed by your disk format and operating system. Out of the box, SQLite3 is slower than the regular MS Access database, but you can speed it up dramatically by using an alternative SQLite3 driver, as discussed [msg=4942]here[/msg].
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mkjensen

• View Profile
Database Error
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-05 04:39:36 »
Hi Daan and Gary,

Thank you for your replies - must admit I didn't think there was a limit on data-base size,

Never mind - I have generated a new database with the suggested 160 x 160 pixels thumbnails as well as jpg-compression of 88, which have drastically cut down the size of my database, as it is around 450mb with 43,800 thumbnails - a far cry from the 2,1gb experienced yesterday.

Once again, thank you for your help and support,

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Database Error
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-05 06:55:41 »
> it is around 450mb with 43,800 thumbnails - a far cry from the 2,1gb experienced yesterday.

Good, that sounds more like it! :-)

Another thing to keep in mind is that when you delete thumbnails, they are not physically removed from the database. Their records are just flagged 'ignore'. That's true for pretty much any database system, because to actually delete records you would have to rewrite the entire database file, which would really slow things down. Anyway, you can periodically use the 'Database | Advanced | Compact and Repair' function to permanently, physically remove those deleted records.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mkjensen

• View Profile
Database Error
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-07 03:24:05 »
Hi Daan

Thank you for your reply and tips - I will keep this in mind.

Your help and support is very much appreciated,