Author Topic: Webpage Wizard, slideshow and browser tabs  (Read 3846 times)

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
Webpage Wizard, slideshow and browser tabs
« on: 2016-01-29 11:59:23 »
In creating web pages using the Webpage Wizard, looking for two options, maybe combination of other features, if available or some manual one-time template coding I can setup...

I create many web pages with the Wizard.  Been using a custom .tptp someone here designed for manually moving from photo to photo, it opens the photo as a new html page and has button words for Next, Previous, and Index.  They can advance to the next picture, go to previous or exit back to the Index page.

What I want to do is, when a Visitor clicks the thumbnail on the main Index page, for it to open that photo page with the picture, in a 'new tab' leaving the web page in the original tab.  From there if they see picture 5 they clicked on, they can go Next to 6, Next to 7, Previous to 6 (for example), and exit back to the Index web page.

And when they select exit for the Index page, it closes that 'new tab'.  Thus the browser defaults back to the web page with the index list and thumbnails.

So thus basic web page with thumbnails, when you click on the thumbnail it opens a 'new tab' not staying in the same browser session tab.  And in that slideshow  (it is similar to the default Photo and Photo 2 templates), when they click 'Index' or 'Exit', it will close that new tab.

The default Photo or Photo 2 templates for example work great, but they open the photo as an html page, in the same tab/session.  And after scrolling thru pictures when you exit it directs back to the index page site link.  

Works great in general but I need it to go to a new tab and then close that tab when exiting.

Is there an option in TP for this?  

Did not see one when testing with the default  Photo  template, to open the picture page in a new tab, it always opens in same.
And did not see in the code  .tptp  template code where clicking exit/index tell it where to go, so could tweak.

thanks,
Frolin

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2016-01-29 16:12:18 »
From googling around a bit, my impression is that this is impossible to accomplish using HTML alone, mainly due to variations in how different browsers deal with new windows and new tabs (which is further complicated by browser settings that vary from user to user).

Personally, I'd leave it to the user to decide how a link will be opened. Opening one in a new tab is usually just a matter of clicking the middle mouse button.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Frolin Marek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-01-29 16:44:52 »
Daan,

Thanks for the reply and thoughts.  The catch is I am trying to develop a 'process' for ways to access photo pages from different places.  And opening in a new tab and closing the session, is one approach.  Which per your notes, may not work in some browsers.  

Maybe you or someone has a way to do this differently.  Lets set an example...   imagine having some construction progress photos of the new back porch deck being built on your home. You have 8 pictures on a June 15th update page...

Now big picture of the project, you setup a section on your website that shows work on your new back porch. It has sub-pages that show, when you tore down the old porch in May, one showing the new ground work in late May, one with the new foundation in early June, and these deck being installed on June 15th, with one or two more pages showing when completed and then of the first BBQ party on July 4th.

1-  I want to have a "New Back Porch" page with links to each sub-page, including the June 15th with 8 pictures.

2-  I have a "Parties" page, where there will be a link to the July 4th BBQ party sub-page, along with other unrelated to porch, party photos.

3-  I have a running log file that lists any new pages added on the home page, so it would have a link there when I add a page here, or page there for stuff like the June 15th.

Now when family or friends go to the site and go to the 'New Porch Progress' page, they can click on of the dates of the progress, and after they go to that 'June 15th' progress page, I want them to be able to return to the Porch Progress page.  And if they click on the July 4th BBQ page, they go to that page and return to the New Porch page.

If family goes to the Parties page, then visit the July 4th page, I want them to be able to return to the Parties page, not the Porch progress page.

And if someone goes to the site home page, looks at the log file and clicks the link for the June 15th or the July 4th pages, they can go to those photo pages, and can return to the Log page.

So the idea is, if I open the photo pages in a new tab, and then force close that tab after, what every menu they started on, they will be back on that page...

A little more involved, and creative needs, but I will have 3-4 different places that I want people to get to the same  'June 15th' progress page, and want them to return back to their original menu when done.  And do not want to have 3-4 button on the bottom of each photo back saying "go back here..."  or  "go back there..."  approach.

Thus, the new tab and close tab.

Daan,  I think I am using a photo viewing  .tptp  maybe you created, that opens the thumbnails in to a html page with the picture clicked on,  then lets you go Previous, Next, or back to Index.  Did you devise that?  ha ha

Well to the question...  if there a way to have  TP  treat the thumbnail links as a 'open in new tab'  instead of default?
   I know some photo page option in TP do that, opening a tab with the picture and you have to close the tab and go back to the index.

Frolin

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-29 19:26:32 »
Hiya Frolin,

I've been up for 33+ hours, with a few more to go, and I just ate half a liter of thick, hot Dutch Brown Bean soup, which put me in a rather less-than-alert state of mind. Frankly, I doubt if I'm going to be of much use to you tonight :]

Those .tptp slideshow templates that we discussed earlier ([msg]4457[/msg]) were made by Uwe Zimmermann. I think the standard templates that come with TP were all made by Phillip or someone else at Cerious. I don't recall ever producing one worthy of publication, myself :)

The web page wizard has a "Linking to Images" page. You could use the 'Target window name' option there with a value of "_blank" (including the quote signs), which depending on the browser used should then open the images in new tabs or in new windows. Maybe another way to accomplish what you want would be to use the option that opens images in a javascript pop-up window.. that way, visitors would never actually leave the page from which they open the images and they'd be 'back home' as soon as they close the pop-up.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.