Author Topic: What does "building file list" mean?  (Read 17736 times)

Street Mann

• View Profile
Re: What does "building file list" mean?
« Reply #15 on: 2019-03-07 10:33:26 »
my problem i foresee is how to get my keywords etc over to the new database.

- holler if interested.

Im hollering ...

I have figured out how to map Keywords and Annotations to the metadata fields that travels with the image. But is there a way to batch getting it FROM the metadata and into the image database field (the Info Section)??

I see that I can copy and paste from the Metadata into Info Section (for all except gallery information) but doing that for 10k images is not appealing.

.. I note that if I add a keyword T10 does not add it into the metadata, but to the image Info section which I am surmising is recorded into the database and not into the metadata,.  [Keyword in the Info  tab is different field that Keyword in the Metadata tab.]

« Last Edit: 2019-03-07 12:19:00 by Street Mann »

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2019-03-07 11:07:36 »
What about the gallery assignments?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2019-03-07 13:05:35 »
I have figured out how to map Keywords and Annotations to the metadata fields that travels with the image.
Good. In TP7, the setting Options | Preferences | General | "Retain original file date/time when quick process turning or editing IPTC" will prevent that copying the keywords and annotations into the image files alters their time and date stamps in Windows.

(if that has already happened, TP7 has a command "Modify File Info" (under Image | Quick Process) that lets you set file dates to their original EXIF 'date created' date, in batches too).

But is there a way to batch getting it FROM the metadata and into the image database field (the Info Section)??
Yes, TP10 can read the IPTC keywords and Caption when it (re)creates thumbnails, and copy their contents to the Annotation and Keywords database fields (which are shown in the info section of the metadata panel). See Options | Preferences | Metadata and Options | Preferences | Keywords.

As for galleries, there's no simple mechanism to copy those from TP7 to TP10. What I've done in the past is give all images in a gallery a keyword like "GALL1". Then copy those keywords (along with any regular keywords)  into the metadata of the image files using the IPTC editor. Then, once they're cataloged in TP10, select all files that match GALL1 and put them in a new gallery (which will then hold the same files as the original gallery in TP7). This worked well but I hope you don't have hundredss of galleries :)
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2019-03-07 14:09:47 »
Not to worry  :o

I only have about 60,000 images and it only takes about 1 second er image to process in the batch mode so Ill be able to have a lot of coffee, do some push-ups, watch my grand-kids grow up, and then go back to see if the process has finished up!

i was thinking the same kind of workaround for the galleries.

Ill let you know how it turns out.

It appears now that doing things this way is going to speed up the scroll problem ... Fingers crossed

« Last Edit: 2019-03-07 14:35:13 by Street Mann »

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2019-03-08 13:12:59 »
Yes, TP10 can read the IPTC keywords and Caption when it (re)creates thumbnails, and copy their contents to the Annotation and Keywords database fields (which are shown in the info section of the metadata panel). See Options | Preferences | Metadata and Options | Preferences | Keywords.

LOL .. I was going crazy until i reread your post and remade the thumbs ... that annotation came in but not the keywords until I did that ...

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2019-03-09 09:17:34 »
Well out of 118,000 images in my main drive .. I  only have about 90,000 more to index with the metadata utility ..... still running after 10 hours ... another 20 to go .....

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2019-03-09 12:24:00 »
Well out of 118,000 images in my main drive .. I  only have about 90,000 more to index with the metadata utility ..... still running after 10 hours ... another 20 to go .....

I thought you were doing this from ThumbsPlus v7?

TP7, which had the keywords and annotations in its database, which has the IPTC-editor that can transfer those to the image files, and which didn't suffer any delays? Something doesn't add up here.

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2019-03-09 17:09:57 »
Hey Daan

Did not try to use the T7 xfer utility on all these files ..

I started using T10 because T7 was acting in unpredictable ways on my Win 10 machine .. even after repairing that database.

So, I converted a td4 T7 db to the new T10 format, and then, on using T10 saw that the difficulty was arising on the slow scrolling... I also saw that the T7 was a bit buggy an sometimes would not fire up under my Windows 10.  Because of the T7 on Win 10 seeming bugginess and umpredictiblality, I stuck with the T10 Win 10 version and the tbdb8 new database structure. I have so many images that I did not want to do all the editing/metadata writing with my TD4 database in T7 and totally mess it up, so I stuck with the T10 metadata editor and changed to using  Win 10 T10 on the conveted tpdb8 file..  It takes about 1 second per image to process the data out of the slow-scrolling T10 "myconvertedtfromTP7td4 database into a clean T10 Win 10 thumbs.tpdb8 database.

« Last Edit: 2019-03-09 17:13:13 by Street Mann »

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2019-03-09 19:00:10 »
I see..! Well, best of luck with it. When the whole procedure is over, you should have a much more responsive database.   :-)

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2019-03-11 12:05:11 »
I see..! Well, best of luck with it. When the whole procedure is over, you should have a much more responsive database.   :-)

Finished .. lets see what was that     only about 3 days to batch process the meta data to the 118,000 files ... only 257 errors .. now to go make the 75 galleries again ...

A prelim check indicates that things are scrolling fast now...

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 2019-03-19 20:16:31 »
 :) ;) :D ;D

Success .. i manually had to re-create my galleries ( T7 does not move over the galleries) and then populate them with the images according to the Metadata procedure of Daan in previous replies in this thread .. Scrolling is now fast thru the thumbs of images and all is well now...

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2019-03-19 21:05:19 »
Thanks, that's great to hear!  :)

So, that's "one down, one to go" -- I hope Mizkreant will manage to solve the speed issue on his system, too.

Street Mann

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2019-03-19 22:14:16 »
i wonder if his problem is that he needs to create a clean new database and do the same thing as I did.

I just called up a gallery with 5900 images and 27gb size in about 1 second.