Author Topic: Fill user field with filename automatically  (Read 3873 times)

EckiH2

• View Profile
Fill user field with filename automatically
« on: 2019-08-11 18:19:51 »
Is it possible to fill a user field (for ex. "Dianame") by batch with the file name (for ex. "IMGP4711")? Its useful or necessary to rename the pictures to show them in a meaningful way in other programs than ThumbsPlus. To save the original names I would like to write them in a ThumbsPlus user field.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fill user field with filename automatically
« Reply #1 on: 2019-08-11 20:30:49 »
Is it possible to fill a user field (for ex. "Dianame") by batch with the file name (for ex. "IMGP4711")? Its useful or necessary to rename the pictures to show them in a meaningful way in other programs than ThumbsPlus. To save the original names I would like to write them in a ThumbsPlus user field.

I think the only way to fill user fields automatically is at thumbnail creation time, when user fields that have exactly the same name as an IPTC or EXIF field, are filled with the contents of that same-named field in the image header. For example, if your database has a userfield named 'Creator' and your image has the value 'Ecki' in its 'Creator' IPTC-field, then 'Ecki' will be copied into the Creator userfield when you make a thumbnail for that image.

In fact, maybe you could use that functionality as a work-around..:

• Use the Image | Batch Edit Metadata function to copy the filename into a metadata field of the image itself (use the 'Get Value From' button to get 'Image Info', 'File name').
  • Afterwards, re-make the thumbnail. Be sure to have a user field in your database that has exactly the same name as the metadata field that you used to store the filename in step 1, so that it will be copied into the database automatically.

ps: If your images were created by a digital camera, it may already be storing the original filename somewhere in the EXIF data.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

EckiH2

• View Profile
Re: Fill user field with filename automatically
« Reply #2 on: 2019-08-12 04:47:52 »
Thank you for this fast and helpful answer!!