Author Topic: new MySQL installation  (Read 5825 times)

wingfield

• View Profile
new MySQL installation
« on: 2016-10-30 17:33:18 »
folks,

I'm wanting to create a brand new database.  I've tried the MYSQL scripts provided online for versions 8 through 10; but they do not work.  I've tried the MYSQL scripts provided online for v7 and it creates a database with no errors.  I tried connecting to this db in tpv7; but it gives an error 5009.   any thoughts??

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-30 18:59:06 »
The v7 database format cannot be used by TP v8/9/10 (which all use the same new format introduced with TP8).

If you want to continue with TP10, I'd recommend reading these threads (in full) from users who got it to work and who documented how they got there:

[msg=2357]TP9 MySQL creation script[/msg]
[msg=4447]Experiences with MySQL and PostgreSQL Client/Server Database[/msg]

Error 5009, 'Unable to open thumbnail database', is nearly always caused by insufficient access rights for the current user, either on a network level or on a database/table level.
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

wingfield

• View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-30 21:15:58 »
Daan,

as always, thank you for the reply.  the benefit you provide and kindness you show by monitoring these forums is beyond what folks can thank you for.

I appreciate the links and will certainly take a read on them.

for clarity, I've used the Cerious provided SQL scripts for v7 and the resulting db will not open in TPv7.

similarly, the Cerious provided SQL scripts provided for v8-10 and the resulting db will not open in TP10.

hopefully I'll find something in the links.

btw  - my user is root user and has all permissions.  I wasn't going to bother with creating a TP user unless I got it to work.

David

wingfield

• View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #3 on: 2016-11-01 18:43:30 »
Daan,

I've read the threads completely.  Pete's SQL script did the trick.  it worked flawlessly.  A big shout out to both of you.

I've also let Cerious know that their SQL scripts don't work.

Thank you again for the help!

David

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #4 on: 2016-11-01 21:05:34 »
Thanks for these and the earlier kind words, and great to hear that Pete's scripts worked so well. Kudos to Pete! :-)

Jens Rieger

• View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #5 on: 2016-11-03 12:26:39 »
So, where is the difference between using SQlite3 or MySQL?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #6 on: 2016-11-03 16:27:05 »
> So, where is the difference between using SQlite3 or MySQL?

SQLite3 is much easier to use - just make a new database in that format and off you go (though for better performance you may want to read [msg=4942]this[/msg]).

With MySQL (and other SQL varieties) you can run the database and its driver on a dedicated server, which offers better performance and security in multi-user environments, and better management of access rights (for instance, you can make certain database tables write-only for some users, e.g. to prevent that they thumbnail images from their local drives). Additionally, it's generally easier to incorporate (My)SQL type databases in other applications (such as an interactive website). It takes more effort and knowledge to set up though.

Jens Rieger

• View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #7 on: 2016-11-04 09:41:07 »
Thanks a lot for your answer! I've been using the SQLITE3 database since I upgraded to
TP 10. So for a Single User there is obviously no need to use the MySQL database.

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #8 on: 2016-11-04 10:05:48 »
> So for a Single User there is obviously no need to use the MySQL database.

No, I don't think there is. In the past it was very popular to get around the 2GB  limit of the MS Access database file, but SQLite3 is a more convenient way to get around that these days.

webazubi

• View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #9 on: 2017-02-07 13:45:48 »
Hello.
My Thumbs runs nice and quick with that mysql script on Wamp-Server an Windows 10, but if I want to make a Foundlist, then Thumbs crashes and says:

Thumbs10.exe crash: exception c0000005 at 0000001b:7460A048

In your installation Found Files makes no problems?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
new MySQL installation
« Reply #10 on: 2017-02-07 14:43:09 »
Does your database have tables named FoundLists and FoundThumbs and can they be written to?

(See [msg=2360]this message[/msg] for a link to a PDF with the ThumbsPlus 8/9/10 database structure)

Another cause of C0000005 errors is a not-fully-compatible MySQL ODBC driver (like in [msg=2948]this message[/msg]), but if that was your problem, I guess you would already have run into it before today.