Author Topic: Catalog Size Limits?  (Read 5671 times)

Hans H

• View Profile
Catalog Size Limits?
« on: 2017-10-11 14:58:36 »
Cerious Support has been telling me that TP10 is capable of databases of virtually unlimited size, with millions of images thumbnailed.  The trick, according to Cerious, is to check the STORE THUMBNAILS IN FILES box.  I have done that but the program stalls anyway at about 3.5G folder size and 777,433 image files within the catalog.

Are any of you having success with very large numbers of images in a collection?

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Catalog Size Limits?
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-11 18:35:44 »
Wouldn't you rather just use an SQLite3 type database? You can create one using Database > New. It has no practical limit on the number of thumbnail records that it can hold and you'll get a single self-contained database file. Performance, out of the box, may be a bit slower than a regular Access database, but see here on how to fix that: http://forums.cerious.com/forum/index.php?id=4942
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

Hans H

• View Profile
Catalog Size Limits?
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-13 09:09:17 »
Anything that works!  I am following the explicit instructions provided by Laura and either I have missed something or the instructions don't work.  How do I set up an SQL DB?  If covered in a previous forum post, point me at it, and thanks!

Hans H

• View Profile
Catalog Size Limits?
« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-13 11:19:42 »
Okay, I note that the SQL DB format is an option in TP10 and I am currently building a new catalog...very, very, slowly.

mikeskysoldier

• View Profile
Been using this program for years, but have been unable to keep databases, as they always fill up, even though they are stored in files with terabytes of available room, they go just a little over 2 Gbs, then won't make thumbnails, even when large amounts of thumbnails are deleted, and orphans removed.  Anyone else encountered this issue?  If so, how did you overcome it?  Thanks

Daan van Rooijen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
[..]  they go just a little over 2 Gbs, then won't make thumbnails, even when large amounts of thumbnails are deleted, and orphans removed.

When you delete records from a database, they are not physically removed (otherwise that huge database file would have to be rewritten, which would take too much time). To remove them physically and actually regain space, you must occassionally run the  command Database | Advanced | Compact & Repair.

Or, instead of the default MS Accesss format database (.tpdb8), make a new database that uses the Sqlite3 format (.tpdb8s), which doesn't have the 2 GB limit.
« Last Edit: 2019-03-10 18:15:23 by Daan van Rooijen »
I'm volunteering as a moderator - I do not work for Cerious Software, Inc.

mikeskysoldier

• View Profile
Re: Catalog Size Limits?
« Reply #6 on: 2019-03-11 23:37:26 »
Thanks for your help!  Am trying it now!!  Actually is making thumbnails superfast using .tpdb8s, have a superfast computer 4.5 Ghz 9th Gen Intel, with new Intel form of memory Optima, maybe working now 10 times faster than ever, will see how far it goes, and will let u know!